TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of Stuan's that I used with my Jeep that dropped the pressure to around 18 psi, (33/12.5/15), and that pressure worked very well with those tires. I'm sure this Taco is lighter, and these tires are less flexible. How low will you go in rocky terrain? A good starting point?

·
Registered
796 Posts
12-15ish is pretty standard for me

·
Registered
8,901 Posts
On 33's I'd start at 14 and go from there. That does of course depend on the terrain. Slower, more technical rock crawling you may want ~12 in the front and less in the rear. Faster stuff you'd be best to start around 16.

Take that with a grain of salt, though. You need to figure out what works best. Obviously you want the wider footprint but you don't want to go too low to reduce clearance.

Fwiw, on 37's I run 6 in the rear and 8 in the front.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I used to air down to 3 in the snow 5.5 on the rocks when i had my tacoma. Tires were 255's on 8" rim no beadlocks, really just depends on what terrain you wheel and how heavy your rig is. Now thay i have a much bigger vehicle i keep it around 8-10

·
Registered
366 Posts
Experiment for yourself. If you have some Stuan's setup for 18, start there.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Some pretty good advice here, 12 is a conservative starting point. I used to wheel at that until fj_fowdie^ got me airing down more. I liked 8-9 without beadlocks, the difference between 12 and 9 is incredible. Try out some different pressures and I'll bet you'll end up in the single digits. One thing I'd add is it depends on the what tire you're running as well (not just load range), some flatten out easier than others.

CAP650, come on out to the gold lake run this weekend.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203170

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I always ran 15 myself in the rocks, and down to 10 in the sand, but I think i'll try some lower pressures seeing what you guys run.

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
My E....I ran between 10 to 15. Depending on terrain

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Here in AZ I stay within 8-10 psi. With the type of terrain we have here, that seems to work well without having bead locks. Obviously, the guys over here that do serious rock crawling air down all the way down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 43's don't start working until they're at 4 in the rear and 5 up front. I ran 6 in a set of 39.5's with no beadlocks and had good luck.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I drop down to 15 psi for most trail work.

on occasion... I'll drop down lower to 8-10 psi for technical rock work.

I have concern about going lower ^
as I don't sport bead locks.

I run 295/75/16 (D load)

·
Registered
372 Posts
My 265 75 16 bfg all terrains wheel very well at 11 to 12 psi. I once blew a bead but i was really beating it in a very off camber situation. Dont be afraid to experiment, worse case you have to put on the spare...

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I ran 10 in 305/75-16 and 315/75-16 Max is bighorns on stock wheels with no issues, any thing lower and they would burp air or fold and pinch the sidewalls. My 37" SSRs on 17s have to have 8 or less to work well at all

1 - 17 of 17 Posts