TTORA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering, of all of you guys, how many have had a CV break, on your lifted IFS toyota's. Mine havent or anything, but i was just wondering. I get sick of listening to people talk shit about IFS being weak, mine seems pretty strong. So tell me some stories!!

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I have broken only one, but the boots tear pretty regularly. If you have a stick, the clutch& the open diff. tends to save the cv's. They really only become a problem if you go with a locker up front.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was wondering, of all of you guys, how many have NOT had a CV break, on your lifted IFS toyota's.
fixed it for you newb...there are TONS of threads with people and CV failure - all you have to do is use the search function...

don't get butt hurt with all the flaming you might recieve...there is a NEWBIE tech for a reason...

·
Registered
183 Posts
fixed it for you newb...there are TONS of threads with people and CV failure - all you have to do is use the search function...

don't get butt hurt with all the flaming you might recieve...there is a NEWBIE tech for a reason...
glad you picked up on the best of TTORA in your whole 3 months here:rolleyes:

SEARCH!!!! STUPID NEWB! WRONG FOLDER! blah blah blah...seems like 90% of posts here are exactly the fucking same...

As for the thread, I've never had a problem, but I am not hardcore wheeling my mostly stock tacoma so that is probably why:D My crappy all seasons and open diffs are the current weak link...CVs are still up the chain from that.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I'm glad somebody picked up that this was a poll, not really a tech question. I know people break CV's I was just looking for any imput, for more or less just something to talk about.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Owned my 99' since new and I've only gone through 1 set and all I really needed were inner boots. I figured I was due so I just bought new halfshafts from cvu and reused my inners. In short, I've never busted a cv in my lifted s/c'ed truck. But I've got stock gears and I'm only running 32's..

·
Registered
796 Posts

I think this is a more than reasonable topic/thread. Searching this issue will turn up LOTS on busted CVs but few/if any "I beat the hell out of my CVs and they haven't broke," etc. It can be a bit misleading when most, even abusive, wheelin trips don't result in CV replacement.

·
Registered
544 Posts
i broke my inner driver cv when i was completely stock on my '04. i bought it new, i didnt think that i wheeled it that hard before i lifted it, maybe it was defected or something. now i have AOR boots, no problems.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
My girlfriends mom moved my truck and put it in 4wd when she moved it. Needless to say, going lock to lock about 6 times caused vibration problems. It was the cv's.

Mnaul hub kit now.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I wheeled my IFS for 7 years with only 2 breaks. During that time it was lifted anywhere from 1-3.5", crawler for 1.5 years, and locked for 3 months, manual hubs for 2 years. I only broke when locked and crawling. I replaced the boots at least 4 times, and always kept an eye on them. Breaks can happen to anyone, but the majority of them are due to a problem the user created. Whether it be locker, crawler, heavy foot, or improper use such as spacer lifts with drop brackets. In stock form the cv's are fine and even when lifted they can be OK. A lot of it has to do with proper technique as well. Too many people put in 4wd as soon as they hit the dirt, but in all reality you only need it a fraction of the time. I wheel Paragon a lot and spend most of the time in 2wd, this makes my steering better and saves wear on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
870 Posts
in my 02 d-cab ----- manual hubs, 32's, 4.56's and an rd-90 up front and never broke a cv, moab tested, coyote/red lake tested

my old 01 ext cab--- torn driver side cv boot, from too much lift and wheeling it on stock boots

downey EMPI's now, no problems

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Ive been wheelin my truck now for almost a year. Rubicon, gold lakes,strawberry,barney riley.....the only time I broke a cv so far was when I was locked up front in a Ravine and the sides of my truck were stuck against the wall of said ravine. this was at hollister and I was following a couple rigs I had no business folllowing:D I think if you stay off the skinny when your open and dont bounce a whole lot...without a locker you will be fine. Its all about feeling the trucks reaction and the ability to feel the binding situation that can start to happen. HOWEVER...now that I have a crawl box its a whole new ball game and expect to break cv's left and right. I carry 2 spares at all times;)
Oh and Im sitting at 3in of lift in the front.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I broke one in my taco. I was in the dirt, locked up front, and my wheels were turned. I wasn't using much gas but it popped.

My friend broke his too. He was locked up front, his wheels were straight, but he was on the throttle. If you wheels IFS on tough obstacles you're going to break them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
8 years of wheeling, no breakage. 33X12.5s with cheapo Revtek spacer lift and manual hubs. I'v wheeled everything from sand to rocks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
here is my budies truck last year. we were wheeling kind of hard most of the day. but this didnt happen until he was barely moving on flat dirt. yea, we cut a hi-lift handle for a qiuck fix. and he drove home at 60mph no problem. manual hubs went on the next weekend.

·
Registered
478 Posts
broke a CV on my 02 tacoma with the total chaos LT. Axles aren't cheap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts