TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new 33x12.50 wranglers and was wanting to regear to 4:56 or 4:88...which gear ratio is better for the tire size and about how much should i be expecting to spend?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TexasTRD said:
Just got my new 33x12.50 wranglers and was wanting to regear to 4:56 or 4:88...which gear ratio is better for the tire size and about how much should i be expecting to spend?
gears and install kits will run just under $600 depending on current pricing (it seems to go up and down on a regular basis). Install will varry depending on where you are/labor rates and how much of the work you can do youself. Setting up gears is NOT for the novice or even an experienced wrench who has no experience. If you can drop off the rear 3rd member and front diff expect prices to range from $400-700. If you drop off the truck add another $300-500.

for a v6 go with 4.56s especially with a manual tranny. 4.88s work very well for mainly trail use. For the 2.7 go with either 4.56s or 4.88s.

If you live anywhere near Murderman he might be persuaded to help you with gear install ;)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I believe I paid like $1,200 for 5.29 Yukon gears with installation kits and labor. But I just dropped my truck off. If it was me I would get the 4.88's b/c I love the getup of the lower gears. But it depends on are you planning on running 33's from here on out or will jump from 32's to 33's. If your going to stick with 33" tires and taller I would get the 4.88's. Good luck.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I paid about $1,400 all said and done and I dropped the truck off.
My gears and tires are listed in my sig.

If you do a lot of highway commuting, I would have to recommend 4.56s. With 4.88s, my highway RPMs are higher than ideal, but they perform well offroad.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I payed 640.00$ for the front and rear 4.88 Precision Gears and install kits ( master rear, reg. front). I pulled the 3rd memebers myself and took them to the shop and got charged 160 per diff so 320.00$ . Total of 960.00. :eek:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
KStacoma said:
I payed 640.00$ for the front and rear 4.88 Precision Gears and install kits ( master rear, reg. front). I pulled the 3rd memebers myself and took them to the shop and got charged 160 per diff so 320.00$ . Total of 960.00. :eek:
dang! great price on labor :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow that stuff is pretty pricy did not expect to hear those prices...on a website i saw they had 4:56 gears for around 200.00 for my tacoma...am i looking at the wrong thing?

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you can pull your 3rd members off, it will save you a TON of money. While it doesn't take them much time to do it, it does use one of their lifts, and that means they potentially do one less vehicle that day. Even on my non 3rd member jeep, I brought them my warranty replacement rear end (friend at the stealership) for them to do the gears in, and that saved me over $100 over bringing the truck in with the axle under it.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
hytenor said:
dang! great price on labor :D
Hell yeah i actually got em done here,
http://industrialautomatic.com/ a place called Inland Truck Parts Co. , they specialize in big rigs but the manager is the leader of the 4wd club of Kansas City and since i'm a local wheeler he hooked me up w/a badass deal on labor :D

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
No, you only have a rear differential. You might consider adding traction while you are in there, either a locker or limited slip. It is another $300-450, but while its apart, and you're already regearing it, it is the time to buck up and get it over with!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so then i would only have to get rear gears then? around how much would that cost? isnt it something like $200?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TexasTRD said:
wow that stuff is pretty pricy did not expect to hear those prices...on a website i saw they had 4:56 gears for around 200.00 for my tacoma...am i looking at the wrong thing?
you can find very cheap Chinese made gears for around $270 for front/rear; that's just for the ring & pinions. you still need install kits which can run nearly as much as the gears themselves. These cheap-o gears are less than worthless and tend to quickly fail causing you to start all over again...but the entire differential is often in need of replacement after the cheapos grenade everything.

In other words, don't skimp on gears, install kits and proper instalation; it will cost you twice as much or more later on.

check here for gears and install kits...best prices anywhere. Ask for Alex and mention ttora.
http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/

as for a reputable gear shop you'll need to check around locally. And I do mean a GEAR shop, not some general mechanic who doesn't set up gears on a regular basis AND who have plenty of experience with Toyota.

No, it ain't cheap, nothing worth while ever is ;)

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
TexasTRD said:
so if i am two wheel drive do i need to buy front and rear gears?
You're two-wheel drive... you don't have front gears. You can buy front gears, but it'd be a waste of money because you don't have front gears.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
TexasTRD said:
so if i am two wheel drive do i need to buy front and rear gears?
2wd= rear gears only. since you are just 2wd I would think about a locker to go with the gears.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
$167.99 for 4.88 R&P, $190 for master install kit(could've got it cheaper but, the one I bought had missing pieces. Shop ordered me a new set), $200 for install(dropped off the complete third member). Total $558.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
synovus said:
You're two-wheel drive... you don't have front gears. You can buy front gears, but it'd be a waste of money because you don't have front gears.
well, shoot, I didn't even notice he was 2wd, duuuuuhhhhhh.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts