TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change my rear end gear just my rear now. to a 4.88.
What should I look for in price parts and labor.
I don't want to get ripped off. 2004 v6 taco. 48000 miles
They might charge seals that i probably dont need

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
are you handy with a wrench? If so...you can save alot by taking out the differentials (front diff housing-rear third member) yourself and dropping them off at the shop.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
ive heard of shops charging $900 per axle for drive in drive out service

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Obviously only the dumb sheep are the ones paying that kind of money for Toyota gears.
aint that the truth :aahg: that was quoted for a jeep cherokee but still

danggood thing i did this for a living once upon a time

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I just got done doing 4.88's in my truck. I got the front diff from a fellow member on here from Kansas that did a solid axle swap. That ran $390 shipped, a little high, but worth it since it only had 6k on it. Bought rear Yukon geras, yoke, and minor install kit from DC4WD on here for $200. Had a local TTORA member install the gears in the rear for $200, and then sold the front 4.10 diff to another local TTORA member who was switching to 4.10 from 3.58 gears. So $790 for parts and install minus $150, so about $640, plus some little stuff like seals and gear oil.

We did the install in the guys driveway and it took about 8 to 9 hours.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
yea thats why i asked where he was, surely theres another TTORA member that could give him some wrenching help

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
petersburg va . Nobody wants to give me a turn key job price.
This one guy told 956 dollars in parts for front and rear. not including shipping,
tax,or labor.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
I want to change my rear end gear just my rear now. to a 4.88.
What should I look for in price parts and labor.
I don't want to get ripped off. 2004 v6 taco. 48000 miles
They might charge seals that i probably dont need
JTS diff's in the sponsors section has front & rear gears and master install kits for $600.

If you bring in the diffs off of the truck - you should be able to find an installer for $150-200 per axle.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
We get 150$ to R&R the rear 3rd, and 175$ to set it up. Gears and bearings are usually around 300$ per diff. And thats in "everythings too expensive" Socal. :D
TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS

·
Registered
260 Posts
Send to ZUK seems cheap and does some good work I hear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The price I came up with for myself is about $1,200. There's a place I've seen in mags that sells front and rear gears and master installs for $600 plus $600+ for labor, but you can knock off a few hundred by taking out the diffs yourself and bringing them to a shop. Does anyone else notice that gears are much cheaper for the pickups than the tacoma's The price for 86-95 toyota pickups on the same site is 400, that sucks for us taco owners

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
just did my gears last week.4.88 f&r and master install kits from PORC $710 and paid local shop $195 per axle to set them up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts