TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy in a local club knows of some junkyard that has some grand wagoneers and will be willing to pick up an axel for me if I want. I was wondering what the avg. price is for one of them. I am figuring all I really need from it is the housing, diff and axel shafts as most people upgrade the hubs and steering knuckles anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
joeylead said:
A guy in a local club knows of some junkyard that has some grand wagoneers and will be willing to pick up an axel for me if I want. I was wondering what the avg. price is for one of them. I am figuring all I really need from it is the housing, diff and axel shafts as most people upgrade the hubs and steering knuckles anyway.
At the Pick 'n' Pulls around here you can expect to pay about $150.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
joeylead said:
I don't know what your market average is where you are at, but I would say the norm is around $150. ( I always thought it was funny the one part the entire project relys on, is one of the cheapest)

I was lucky when I bought mine, got it for $75. because I won a bet with the junk yard owner. I bet him we could pull two axles within 30 minutes (before he closed for the night) We did it and basically got a two for one deal.

But here is the point of my post– be careful letting someone else choose
your axle. The second axle we pulled that night ended up being slightly bent. The long side was barely bent and in our rush to pull it, did not see the slight curviture, yet it was bad enough to make a performance issue. He would have had to replace the entire long side tube and shaft. My friend that chose that axle was S.O.L since the yard would not exchange, refund or otherwise which is a usual practice from what I understand.

Hope this helps, Don't pay more than $150 would be my opinion though. To answer your question.

Also, make sure your buddy understands that you do not want an axle from the "vacum assist era" Which I believe was '84-85 models (but double check that, I am probably wrong on those years–someone please correct me if I am)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bear said:
I don't know what your market average is where you are at, but I would say the norm is around $150. ( I always thought it was funny the one part the entire project relys on, is one of the cheapest)

Also, make sure your buddy understands that you do not want an axle from the "vacum assist era" Which I believe was '84-85 models (but double check that, I am probably wrong on those years–someone please correct me if I am)
If I have him try to get me one, I wil just tell hime to get me one with manual hubs to avoid the vacum diff thing. But he is good, and I am pretty sure he could get me one that isnt bent.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Sorry to be so "tardy" in replying, I haven't checked this section in a while.

Anyway if your buddy is good, just tell him that you want to stay away from the vacum assist. chances are you are going to be replacing the manual hubs regardless and the auto hubs will not make the axle any more or less expensive.

My big concerns were address previously… bent shafts and vacum assist. Other than that, it is hard to get a bad axle. Just depends on what all you want to put into it. My axle had brand new gears and carrier, too bad I am trashing them any way for a different size and ARB. But my point is if you think you just want the housing, double check your thinking. Remember everything you have to put "back into" the axle cost money. So if you luck into a fresh rebuilt axle or something (unlikely but nice to dream about) you could save a pretty penny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts