TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much can you safely lift the rear before you need to replace the rear brake line? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
You can do 3" pretty safely, any more and the line gets a little tight. I have 4" and changed mine just in case. Brakes are nothing you want to loose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
USAFTaco said:
You can do 3" pretty safely, any more and the line gets a little tight. I have 4" and changed mine just in case. Brakes are nothing you want to loose.
Gotcha. I have had an add-a-leaf for almost 3 years. It started out around 2 1/2" but it is closer to 1.75 now. I need to add a shackle to fix some rubbing issues in the rear. That should get me up to about 3.25". I probably need o look into replacing it then.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,407 Posts
I put on a 2" aal and had to change it, it stretched when the truck flexed. try http://wheelersoffroad.com i have their brakeline.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Cappleton3 said:
How much can you safely lift the rear before you need to replace the rear brake line? Thanks.
The double cab rear line seemed to be longer than the extra cab line when my buddy and I changed ours out. I went ahead with the procomp line, and I have a detailed write up on my site.

But I would say go ahead and extend it. It's worth the piece of mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
713 Posts
atwinda said:
The double cab rear line seemed to be longer than the extra cab line when my buddy and I changed ours out. I went ahead with the procomp line, and I have a detailed write up on my site.

But I would say go ahead and extend it. It's worth the piece of mind.

Hmmm ok well that brings up a interesting point I didn't however replace my rear line because it didn't seem to be affected. So is that normal? not having to replace the rear line the front wear obvious but the rear doesnt flex out.

Aaron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
atwinda said:
The double cab rear line seemed to be longer than the extra cab line when my buddy and I changed ours out. I went ahead with the procomp line, and I have a detailed write up on my site.

But I would say go ahead and extend it. It's worth the piece of mind.
Thanks for pointing me to your write up. It looks pretty straight ahead. I'll probably order the line from Wheelers tomorrow.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
xcmountain80 said:
Hmmm ok well that brings up a interesting point I didn't however replace my rear line because it didn't seem to be affected. So is that normal? not having to replace the rear line the front wear obvious but the rear doesnt flex out.

Aaron
We both have 01 trucks.. (his is indeed the xcab on my site) and when we put in his deaver AAL and mor shackle (both for 1.5" of lift) his brake like was already taugt. I had been getting around for over year on 4" of lift on my double cab and it would start to be an issue when I flexed out all the way. When I rebuilt my pack, and got longer shocks (to the tune of 13" of flex) I needed a longer line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
rear brake manifold

I have an 02 quad cab (prerunner 2whl) and it has a brake line manifold mounted to the drivers side frame inline with the axle. It has a rod that crosses over and attaches to the axle. I believe this has something to do with the amount of pressure between front and rear brakes. Anyways its in the way. What has everyone else done with this. Can I remove this completely and just put in a simple three way?
 

·
Rock Vapor
Joined
·
170 Posts
Thats your proportioning valve. You dont want to remove that as it alters the pressure going to the rear brakes as a function of the rear ride height (loaded vs unloaded). Without it you will get too much rear brake effort and you'll get squirrely in a panic brake situation. If you lift the rear, you should also "lift" the brakcket that attaches to the axle by using some drilled out flat bar of the appropriate length
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I just went on a speeding tour through your site, cool. Currently I have the rod removed and it feels pretty good, possibly a little heavy on the back. I am running 62" deaver springs with Fox bypass shocks getting about 17" of travel. Cetainley the dual spares make up the weight of the bed so the truck probably thinks it unloaded. I need to move the valve so the lines don't get pinched, what was done on the earlier trucks? :banghead:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
FSP said:
I just went on a speeding tour through your site, cool. Currently I have the rod removed and it feels pretty good, possibly a little heavy on the back. I am running 62" deaver springs with Fox bypass shocks getting about 17" of travel. Cetainley the dual spares make up the weight of the bed so the truck probably thinks it unloaded. I need to move the valve so the lines don't get pinched, what was done on the earlier trucks? :banghead:

PM me and I will shoot you a pic of my solution!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
612 Posts
USAFTaco said:
Brakes are nothing you want to loose.
Oh really? Man if I never read that commend I would have taken mine out to save some weight. Whew.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top