TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 90 toyota 4runner 4X4 SR5 that is lifted with 33 12.50's on it. When I go over a small speed bump in my neighborhood it feels like there is no cushin; it hits like a rock. I think it needs new shocks but I have no idea how to tell how much lift is on this truck, so I dont know what shocks to get. Does any one know how I can figure out how much lift is on it and what shocks I need.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If it hits like a rock the shocks are fine. Odds are that the torsion bars are just turned up all the way. (It's a cheap way to lift one of those.) Look under it and see if you have any suspension add on parts. i.e. a drop bracket for the front diff or the like.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm assuming you have 15" rims, and not 16" or 17"

Measure the distance from the top of the front rims to the bottom of the front fenders. On stock '89-'95 trucks this measurement should be anywhere from 14" to 15" (my totally stock '94 is set at 14.5"). Subtract that from what your measurement is and that is how much lift you have.

If you have a suspension lift, the most common size for your rig would be a 4" lift.

If you happen to have a body lift, and NOT a suspension lift, then your shocks will just be stock length.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
pics

here are some pics I really know very little about IFS.

Sorry for the fist huge pixs

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Holy big pix batman!

Post another pic from the side - looks like you have a body lift on there. Bumpstops and CV angles look normal.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
1 other thing - does it rub? On these older trucks, you could fit 33x12.50 with no lift, but you're gonna get some rub when you "flex" the suspension.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics

Sorry for the first pics I didnt relize they were going to be that big.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got it today plan on taking it to the KY mts this weekend to see how it does. so I dont know if it will rub or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may have a body lift but I really dont know. If it is just a body lift and the bars are turned all the way up would I just use regular factory shocks?

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
sure looks like a 2-3 inch body lift, and yes, the T bars are cranked. The CV's are angled down well. Normal shocks are fine, and I would get those t bars torked down a hair if the ride is way to stiff for you...

You could also stand to push those steps up a bit if you are going to wheel it this weekend...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Yep - HUGE body lift, and maybe a little Tbar too. Mine is a little low in the front, and this isn't the best pic - but looks like I have less clearance to the compression stop:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Yeah those Tbars are cranked. With the body ift you can probably clear those tires without any other lift. So uncrank the tbars down some and it will ride better, just remember it's a truck not a cadillac.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't expect it to ride like a cadi, that would take half the fun out of it. But riding a rock takes all the fun out of it.

Thanks for all of your help you guys are great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts