TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could probably search through my FSMs for the answer, but I'm not in the mood and its easier to type.

For a while now, I was getting crappy antenna signal with my stereo. When I was removing my fender today, I found out why.

The Coaxial cable that runs from the cab (i assume directly from the back of the head unit) was torn out from the antenna. My guess is I will have to replace the entire antenna mount as well as the section of antenna wire.

Can I splice the cable or should I replace the whole section in its entirety?

Is there anyway to save the antenna? It looks like the cable was ripped out of the antenna base.

I really really really don't feel like tearing apart the dash for this one stupid wire.

TIA

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Not sure on the Tacos, but my old 4runner had the cable go straight from the antenna to the head. I know you can buy little DIY coaxial connectors at radioshack, it may be easier if you have enough slack. How does it attach to the antenna mount?

·
Registered
297 Posts
CronusTRD said:
I could probably search through my FSMs for the answer, but I'm not in the mood and its easier to type.

For a while now, I was getting crappy antenna signal with my stereo. When I was removing my fender today, I found out why.

The Coaxial cable that runs from the cab (i assume directly from the back of the head unit) was torn out from the antenna. My guess is I will have to replace the entire antenna mount as well as the section of antenna wire.

Can I splice the cable or should I replace the whole section in its entirety?

Is there anyway to save the antenna? It looks like the cable was ripped out of the antenna base.

I really really really don't feel like tearing apart the dash for this one stupid wire.

TIA
Post or PM me a picture. I can figure out what you need, or least point you in the right direction. Coax can be spliced easily.... no worries. If radio shack doesnt have it, I probably do.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scottnmos said:
Post or PM me a picture. I can figure out what you need, or least point you in the right direction. Coax can be spliced easily.... no worries. If radio shack doesnt have it, I probably do.
Here are the pics. I figured it could be spliced, just not sure how that would affect the radio antenna signal.

I still have to figure out how to reattach it to the antenna, and I have the feeling the Cable and Antenna are sold together as one assembly.

I'm pretty sure even if I can splice it, I doubt i'll be able to reattach it to the stock antenna. I just need to find some type of replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just found out it is all one unit.

Dammit.

Ordered one from partznet.com, Cost ~$37.00

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had something similar happen, so I yanked the whole thing and put in a new antenna. Universal-type, so i had to use it and parts of the old antenna to get it to mount properly. Was a serious PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts