TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about running a 32x11.50 AT on my truck. I do have the 2.7L and a 5spd. I'm currently running a 31x10.50 MT. I'm wondering how much power lose and possible gasmileage I would lose going up and out a size? I know they are going to be a heavier tire, but didn't know if the AT would make it easier then the MT.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I wouldn't imagine going from 31s to 32s would be all that bad. I went from 31s to 33s and although I eventually regeared, it wan't horrible with the stock gearing. I lost ~3-4 mpg with the stock gearing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think that I would probably lose between 1-2 mpg? I swear though I can't ever make up my mind about this truck. I should buy 2 of everything so I can just innerchange whenever I feel the need.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I'm thinking about running a 32x11.50 AT on my truck. I do have the 2.7L and a 5spd. I'm currently running a 31x10.50 MT. I'm wondering how much power lose and possible gasmileage I would lose going up and out a size? I know they are going to be a heavier tire, but didn't know if the AT would make it easier then the MT.
You'll notice a slight power loss going up hills, but that's about it. Also, you may lose about 2 mpg. I did the same thing you plan on doing, and I have no regrets (other than wanting bigger tires).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Went to 33x12.50s here. I dont get to use 5th gear much anymore but the difference isn't horrible besides that. I plan to regear soon though.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i went from the stock 31's to 32x11.5r15 mud terrains w/ black steelies and i noticed a slight loss of power...but i'm a supercharged V6. you might notice a little more than me, but i'm sure it will be tolerable

·
Registered
93 Posts
no power loss at all, bigger tires don't make the engine lose power

more like a slight "powerband alteration" :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
I may be wrong but I would think you would have less rolling risistance switching from MT`s to AT`s.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
4x4Dragon said:

no the engine doesnt lose power, but there's less power at the wheels because the engine has to work harder to spin more weight

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chirs hey it's John I only lost about 3 mile to the gal. around town. I have to 4th more on hills in the back roads but thats about it. On the Highway u really can't tell the diff, other Than trying to pass up hill. With ur old truck like it was u sould be happy with ur new one cause if i corect u where runing stock gears in the old truck with 35 if you could stand that u can easy stand the taco on 32,s so do it

JOHN
Ps you will still be able to out run me.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
stock gears and 35's!

chasintail said:
With ur old truck like it was u sould be happy with ur new one cause if i corect u where runing stock gears in the old truck with 35 if you could stand that u can easy stand the taco on 32,s so do it

JOHN
Ps you will still be able to out run me.
yeah he stock gears cause he couldn't decide between 4.56's and 4.88's for the longest. I'd say 4.10's and 32's on his 4cylinder would be like HEAVEN compared to that 3.SLOW and 4.10's w/ 35's, hahaha!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
gears

Tacoma4Life06 said:
Hey Chris,
for 32's, 4.56's would probably be the best all around aftermarket gear, unless you could find some used 4.30's. But, w/ 4.10's and 32's, you'll be fine! If I had 4.10's I woulda gone to 32's, but 3.58's and 31's is enough of a struggle for me as it is! Hopefully I'll be able to re-gear sometime this summer! Good luck, Wes

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
4x4Dragon said:

I saw you live in Lexington I use to live in RedBank off of Old Barnwell rd. I grew up in Irmo.

·
Registered
93 Posts
STOMPER said:
I saw you live in Lexington I use to live in RedBank off of Old Barnwell rd. I grew up in Irmo.
LOL! im here off of old orangeburg just about .5 miles past the intersection/light where old barnwell and old orangeburg meet......about half way between that intersection and Saxe Gotha Elementary school.

both my sisters recently moved from off of old barnwell. older sister lived in Garden Pond and younger sister lived in Land of the Lakes.

you wouldn't happen to have been cruisin around here again lately? i keep seeing an older white 4runner with 33's or 35's

·
Registered
212 Posts
Lexington here too. Well West Columbia now. My parents live right off of barnwell. It's cool to see other people from around town on here.

Oh yeah, got to keep it on topic. My taco with the 3.58's doesn't do to bad performace wise with the 30's. It does suck on gas milage though. I average about 18 combined city and highway. It will blow the doors off my 88 reg cab 22re 5spd with 4.10's and 225's on it. Got some 4.10's for the front of the taco waiting, just need some rears. Then I will probably go to 31's at least, maybe 32's. Who knows.......depends on how deep the wallet is. :rolleyes: 4.56's would be nice though...... :xcrybaby:

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
Do you know what gearing you have? I'd figure on a 10% drop in MPG and you will definately notice the power difference in 1st and 5th.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah I know that I was running stock gears in the old truck too, but it was still a v6 so it made a little difference. I don't have the money to regear at all either. I don't want to go that much bigger at all. It's all going to depend on how the tires look once I have on my new rims as well.

I need to look on the door and see what the number is to check the gearing. Does anyone have a website or anything that can tell me what the numbers mean on the door to tell for gearing?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only thing that I have a quesion about is the fact that I had 31x10.50s from the factory because it is a TRD, but in the door it says something smaller I think. What would be the one to go by in that case?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
I went from a 31 AT to a 32 MT. The difference isn't bad at all power-wise or fuel-efficiency-wise. Then again, I have the V6...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts