TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I itching to get rid of the tan my truck is painted. Its boring and old man. I have time to prep and my father-in-law can spray in his garage. I was thinking about keeping it simple and going with white paint. If my father-in-law is feeling ambitious then maybe a dark blue. Anyway I was curious as to home much I'm looking at spending to get a decent paint job. It doesn't need to be mirror shinny but better than spray cans. I love some good links on prep work too. I don't need a bible to get a show car finish but maybe some real work prep would be good. Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
if your father in law can spray, there goes a big chunk of the cost. expect to pay between $300-$400 for your primer, base, clear, reducer, and hardener. especially if its a fancy ass color (pearls and mica in the paint) and you dont got the hook ups at an automotive supply store. if the body is pretty straight (or if you just dont care about the dents and dings) and the existing paint is still in good condition, you can use this product called scuff stuff on a red 3m scouring pad to etch the surface for paint. scuff stuff is an abrasive and a cleaner so all thats left before painting is to tape up the truck and give it a good wipe down with prepsol and some good lint-free cloths.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool thats sounds doable. I'm going strait up white, nuthin fancy. The paint on the truck is in good shape, just boring tan. I need a change after 7 years. Some of these guys are saying 3-4k to paint! I guess if you drop the truck off at the shop and pick it up with a fresh pro paint job...

·
Registered
401 Posts
3k-4k sounds about right for shop rate. pricey, but you pay for what you get. and if you dont like how you got it back (runs, sags, fisheyes, rubbish in the paint, etc.) send it back till they get it right. im gonna be FINALLY finishing the bodywork on my tacoma and gonna have a friend help me spray primer. couple heavy coats, block and wet sand w/ 500 and then hes gonna paint the base/clear. ill still be paying 1k just to have him paint it, on top of the cost of material. worth it to me when other family friends have their own body shop and were gonna charge $2500+ for body and paint. and thats the friends & family rate.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rub that truck up against a couple of trees. It will spice up it's appearance
already did... I'm bobbing the bed by the spring time to get rid of most of the tree damage (like my shop teacher always said "putty and paint make it what it aint")

1 - 6 of 6 Posts