TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some stupid reason the toyota engineers saw fit to give the overseas Hilux a much beefier, full one-ton frame....

our tacomas were left with a pansy imitation - as far as I know the US Taco frames are not even fully boxed right?

For those of you knowledgable about this stuff:

How strong is the Taco frame when compared to similair trucks?

What exactly are the differences between the Hilux and Taco frames?

Why would toyota go from a fully boxed frame (pre taco truck) and then switch to a partially boxed one? Is it cheaper to manufacture or something?

Just how good or bad of a frame overall do domestic tacomas have?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I was under my new 05 over the weekend and noticed the 05's are only fully boxed until halfway back under the cab. The older tacomas were fully boxed all the way under the cab. This really isn't a problem, the frames are plenty strong. I've actually owned every variation of toyota 4x4 pickup and two Fj40's (still have one of the 40's) and actually think the non-fully boxed frames are an advantage here in New England. They can't hold salt, so they wont rust out in the low spots. How many older especially pre-89 toyotas have you heard of rusting in two right behind the cab? But theres lots of other reasons too. Lower cost isn't the only thing. Crash standards, rust prevention, lower weight-better fuel economy, etc. The hilux is a totally different truck. Solid front axles, different motors (including diesels) different cab configurations, etc. If you want a super beefy toyota pickup, try finding a 70 series landcruiser pickup. Basically a modern fj45. Really cool. And there are a few in the US even though they were never imported here officially.

·
Registered
135 Posts
:
GodwinAustin said:
For some stupid reason the toyota engineers saw fit to give the overseas Hilux a much beefier, full one-ton frame....

our tacomas were left with a pansy imitation - as far as I know the US Taco frames are not even fully boxed right?

For those of you knowledgable about this stuff:

How strong is the Taco frame when compared to similair trucks?

What exactly are the differences between the Hilux and Taco frames?

Why would toyota go from a fully boxed frame (pre taco truck) and then switch to a partially boxed one? Is it cheaper to manufacture or something?

Just how good or bad of a frame overall do domestic tacomas have?
See www.brian894x4.com

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
on a 4 runner, my friends sliders were welded on with out a plate, we were able to create 2 inch of travel just by pulling it up and down, yeah they are weak in my opinion

1 - 7 of 7 Posts