TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, do you have a random shopping cart laying about? Do you need a bigger cart for your welder and/or plasma cutter? Are you handy with air tools and beer?

Me too!

Here's how I'm making (it's a work-in-progress...) a bigger and better welding cart to hold my junk.

Step 1: Getchaself a quality shopping cart, duh. How? Bus stops, any WalMart parking lot, creekbeds... they're around. Caution: they're heavier than you may think, but not so bad to make it a 2-man lift into a truck bed.

Step 2: Decide how you're going to set up your new welding cart. This will take some research and thinkifying; although the majority of carts I saw were stock, I was intrigued by one that was set up vertically. Pics will tell the story for that; you'll see.

Step 3: Get to cutting and welding! At this point I'll just shut up and post pics. Since this isn't 100% complete yet, this thread will be updated. Input and ideas are welcome since there's really no "right way" to build one of these bad boys.

Here's how this started; "make all this fit in that"

Figuring on using the kid strap as a bottle strap; it's just long enough to work. I'm going to run the looped ends through the bars of the cart and retain the clip for ease of bottle changing.

Standing up, let's get chopping...

Moved the rear wheels a bit:

Helpful hint: You can't unscrew the nuts holding the front casters; they're really wonky and apparently anti-removable. So: zip those nuts back on, weld the top plates of the casters solid to the plate then chop off the studs and nuts on the top.

Steering wheels now on the former handle bar:

Braces put on for safety n stability, figure it's got to hold some welder weight:

...continued...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...more...

Cut out the back swinging area thing; that's going to be the new floor

See? New floor:

This is roughly how things will fit; there's plenty more to do next weekend:

I'm going to make a floor/shelf for the gas bottle back here and will open up the back for hoses/cords etc:

Old versus new; this will be one hell of an improvement. I may end up fitting larger wheels on it but that bridge will be crossed later.

I added some 90* bracing under the floor section; about 2" on each side at the front. When I get back to it, I'll brace the rear section too and maybe add some cross bars to support the welder and plasma chopper's weight.

I'm envisioning some sort of flat top/shelving above the machines, lead holders, fire extinguisher holder and beverage holster. I'll probably add random bracing as I go, but this is a great start, yes? Again, if you have ideas to improve it, let me have 'em.

I'm making this thread because I couldn't find a solid thread on the actual building of a shopping-welding cart; just posts that said "here's mine" and a picture or two.

:saw: n :welder:

>>Dan

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I'm loving it so far. I just got my first welder. A cart would be a good project.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Definitely chop the "top" off the cart and add another shelf. I wonder if you can get two shelves in there. What would be really rad is if you could fit a small drawer for tips, cutters, wire brushes, etc -- the stuff that gets lost easily.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the plan; we'll see how far I get today now that there's about a foot of snow at the shop. It's weather like this that makes me really REALLY want to sell the Civic and dump money into the AllTrac. Nobody can say "no" to turbo, 5-speed AWD hatchbacks from the 80s.

Nobody. :cool:

I also have a 2:30 appointment for taxes, so that kind of screws up the day. I may get my lazy ass out of the house before 8 to do stuff...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tax appointment was cancelled so I almost have this baby done. Here's what happened:

Chopped the top and side (for wire replacement access):

Like this; I didn't think about that before:

Opened up the back for gas and power cord; don't forget the regulator has to fit too:

Made a simple backstop for the welder:

Made Diego sad; I didn't share lunch:

Whipped up a top piece:

Stuck a divider in and made backstops for the plasma cutter:

Took the top and made it to hold the bottle:

...more...

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...more...

side view, I still have to make bottle holders:

'nother angle:

Bottle strap:

Almost done...

Diego approves and started getting fussy and noisy, so that was the end of the day:

Did anyone notice there wasn't any temperature outside?

And one from work: dude had it towed in for a dead battery/no-start... but there's always more to the story.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to make a platform/shelf for the top, secure the gas bottle, make hooks for the leads and get bigger pneumatic tires for it later on. The stock wheels are fine for now, but we all know stock sucks.

There's probably some bracing and random trimming to be done, but that'll come as needed/discovered.

So whaddya think? :cool:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I think it is a great idea. I thought the dog always gets the last bite..:)

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You would. Personally, I don't like any project that is based on stolen property. If you weren't so protected by thousands of miles of ocean, I'd come steal your truck and make myself a buggy out of it. Then I'd paint it gold just to piss you off good and proper.

I think it is a great idea. I thought the dog always gets the last bite..:)

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
You would. Personally, I don't like any project that is based on stolen property. If you weren't so protected by thousands of miles of ocean, I'd come steal your truck and make myself a buggy out of it. Then I'd paint it gold just to piss you off good and proper.
:lmao:

The one I found in the bushes has no store markings. Should I file a police report?:p

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
:lmao:

The one I found in the bushes ...............

Behind the grocery store down the street ...... has no store markings lol
Fixed it. We all know where it came from with the gray paint and blue handle. :slap:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts