TTORA Forum banner

How to get dog shit smell out of my truck?

16K views 48 replies 37 participants last post by  Wainiha 
#1 ·
Hey guys, a couple days ago I had my sick dog in my truck and the poor guy shit all over the passenger seat. I've tried a couple carpet cleaners and febreezed the hell out of it but there is still a smell. Anybody got any ideas or know what works best for getting the smell out of my truck? Thanks.

#4 ·
steam clean the seat...force dry it....repeat a few times then find a carpet cleaning/water damage supply place....find a fabric cleaner by a company called unsmoke. that should do the trick. MAKE SURE YOU FORCE DRY IT! it will mildew badley if you dont...you can rent an "airmover" for cheap from home depot and similar stores.

#6 ·
Smoke or have someone smoke a cigar or weed in your truck. I dont smoke the green stuff but I like the smell.

Or tub your firewall and weld it back together. It'll have a pleasant burnt metal smell to it for a week or two.

For a longterm solution I guess Id follow the others advice. :2cents:
:D

#7 ·
Honestly, you need to take the seat apart.

Wash the seat cloth parts in your washing machine with cold water on delicate and let them air dry. You can buy the foam bottom piece from the dealer and replace that.

Fabreze doesn't get rid of the poop, it only covers it up until it's disturbed, then it stinks again. :cool:

Don't ask me how I know this. :cool:

Brian

#8 ·
use Puckerfactors suggestion in conjunction to charcoal!

Charcoal will absorb the oder, takes a while but will work. also can use Arm &Hammer baking soda. but again both methods will take a while to fully remove the smell.

Place the charcoal under the seats on a piece of newspaper Ground up pieces or smaller chunks work best. If you use the baking soda, just sprinkel the entire box in the carpet, after a week or two, take to a car wash and vacum the carpet to get baking soda out. Repeat as needed.

#11 ·
make sure to hit your headliner with febreeze as well, i know a lot of smoke gets stuck up there and people forget to do it. Maybe the dog smell found its way there as well?

#13 ·
Just have your wife/girlfriend sit on it, the smell will go away. Just dont letem know about the dog poop.

#17 ·
If the crap got into the foam cushon it will have to be replaced...ain't nuthin that will get that stuff out of the foam and not tear up the foam.
replacement cushons are not that expensive.

#16 ·
was it solid, or a nasty liquid, because the liquid probably will never fully come out, because of all the waste and bacteria, the smell is bad, but leave something dead in your car in the hot sun for 6 days, and that smells horrible, not me, my friend.

#19 ·
I'd call an upholstry shop and get a quote on disassembling/reassembling the seat. Have it taken apart, wash everything several times, dry completely and reassemble. I've tried to work on seats and I can never get them right, but a pro makes it look easy. Or start looking for a replacement seat.

Good luck, and hope the dog's OK.

#20 ·
my dog did the same thing and it stunk bad. so the next day i took a shit on the same seat and now it does not smell like dog shit.

just kidding dude, for some reason i'm thinking WD40 does all kind of wonders i dont think i would hurt to try, start with a small spot on the side of the seat to see if it turns colors.

#21 ·
just kidding dude, for some reason i'm thinking WD40 does all kind of wonders i dont think i would hurt to try, start with a small spot on the side of the seat to see if it turns colors.

Well first off, funrunner91 is an idiot. Second off, my vet sold us some carpet cleaner for $9.99 that took a week old dog stain out of my new carpet. I have no idea what it is called, but I am sure any vet can give you some ideas.

#23 ·
well i never tried it on dog shit but i always had good luck with this foaming shit called "Tuff Stuff" i figure it might be worth a try since its only a couple bucks at like wal-mart or something... goodluck

#24 ·
once you've done all the cleaning you might wanna try keeping a small box open of bounce dryer sheets in your truck. this really help keep oders away.
good luck

#28 ·
Thanks guys for all of the advice. This morning I had some time finally so I took my seat out and steam cleaned the hell out of it and put a little more febreeze on and the smell is gone. I seem to smell a little still but nobody else can, I think it is all in my head. If nobody else can smell it, then it must be alright. That steam cleaning did an awesome job. The seats are a lot cleaner now also! :)
Hopefully I don't have to deal with this shit anymore, but if I do, then I'll give that natures miracle a try...I've heard good things about that stuff.

#29 ·
Make sure you crack the windows open and to keep good air circulation. I would keep a light coat of baking soda on the seat also to absorb the balance of stink.

The true test will be your on your next hot day in the sun with the windows rolled up!

If that doesn't work, you might be able to get an ozonator to get rid of the smell. Not sure who rents them, but most hotels use them to get rid of smoke smells from the hotel rooms.

df

#31 ·
Alright, waaaaay back when I was a detailer at a *cough* Subaru *cough* dealership, I occasionally came across trade-ins/wholesale cars that were smoked/or partied way too hard in and had a bit of a funk despite being fairly clean. There is a product called Terminator that can and will wipe out just about any fucked up smell in a car. Like some fat fuck that delivered newspapers for a living with his 2 dachshunds that managed to shit only on the Weathertech floor mats, but still leave a smell...

PRO® Aerosol Odor Terminator works two ways to eliminate all types of malodors. As a total release aerosol bomb and as a hand held aerosol to be sprayed as needed. Eliminates odors caused by: fire, smoke, vomit, urine, feces, skunks, fish, pets, cooking, mildew, decay, garbage, sewer, etc..
http://www.prowax.com/odor_terminator.shtml

#34 ·
PRO® Aerosol Odor Terminator works two ways to eliminate all types of malodors. As a total release aerosol bomb and as a hand held aerosol to be sprayed as needed. Eliminates odors caused by: fire, smoke, vomit, urine, feces, skunks, fish, pets, cooking, mildew, decay, garbage, sewer, etc..
http://www.prowax.com/odor_terminator.shtml
Old thread I know, but I searched :flipoff4:
Can anyone else vouch for this product? I googled a couple of the air movers and shit that are mentioned in this page but I can't find anywhere to rent one from or understand how something used for carpet drying is supposed to take out odor. I'd be all for something like an air mover but can't find shit through google. Maybe it's just cause I'm on the iPhone..

Anyway. I have successfully quit smoking cigarettes (been about 2 weeks, and about 1.5 weeks without nicotine suplements, yay go me woo!! ) and the past few mornings getting into my truck I have noticed a god awful stench of old stale smoke that makes me want to gag. I'll check the yellow pages later, but can anyone offer up some good suggestions on getting this smell out of here?

Thanks guys

#32 ·
tupperware suggests stuffing newspapers in their product to absorb smell/odor left behind from leftovers. i've been told the newspaper trick absorbs all kinds of odors on all kinds of stuff.

try leaving a stack of newspapers on your seat for a day or two if the smell comes back... it's free and easy, so if it does not work, you lose nothing :eek:

#33 ·
Uhh... newspaper works great for cleaning glass, but I'm not very convinced that it absorbs THAT much smell. But what hell give it a shot. Just be sure that the you use the b&w sections and not the color.

#35 ·
the guy i bought my truck from smoked like crazy. when i got it i strayed that bitch down with febreez(the the whole bottle) everything was soaked. i left the doors open to let it dry and u would never know someone smoked in it at all. amazed me

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.