TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until yesterday I was clueless about this "cheap trick". Apparently the stock stereos, at least in the '01 and up, have a Mid setting to compliment the Bass and Treb but it's hidden!

To activate it here's what Marc M told us to try in this thread.

Marc M said:
With the truck on and the radio on, press and hold the tuning knob for approximately 10 - 15 seconds. You will hear an audible beep, now when you go back in to set the audio preferences it gives you the option for "MID" adjustment.

It will stay this way as long as you turn your radio off before you turn your truck off. If you happen to turn the truck off before you turn the radio off, all you have to do is perform the same sequence and it will come back....
It might work in older stereos but so far in that thread I have the oldest stock stereo being an '01. Marc M wanted to make it clear in the other thread this was not his discovery. He got it from someone else.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 01 radio in mine. This worked the first time I tried it, but hasn't worked since. Any ideas why it would stop working? :confused:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
das1999 said:
I have an 01 radio in mine. This worked the first time I tried it, but hasn't worked since. Any ideas why it would stop working? :confused:
I don't know. I haven't forgot to turn the radio off first before turning off the truck. Maybe try disconnecting your battery? You'll loose your presets, and whatever else relies on your battery for memory but if you really want it back... :D

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Marc M said:
Come on now, I deserve a little bit of credit :D :D :D

Man...that worked great!!! Makes the shitty stock speakers sound better. Any ideas on origins of this trick? Its like finding a secret a video game :D

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Awesome!!! Just tried it last night and it worked!! Now I have MID!! This is my 3rd Taco, the first two were 2002 and this one is 2001 and I never knew that was available.

The owners manual talks about the MID setting but it wasn't available on my radios. I even took the first one to the dealer and told them I had no MID and wanted it fixed. They told me that "I guess the Tacomas didn't get the radio with MID control". I knew they were idiots then and kinda forgot about it.

What a difference the MID control makes. I'm really happy with my stereo now!! It was kinda lack-luster before and come to think of it, I took the 2nd Taco in to the dealership for a rattling window channel and had them check out the radio for sounding "muddy". They said they couldn't find anything wrong. Whatever. Don't even know their own shit. Brainfarts.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip guys....

Jody.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you dont turn off the radio before shutting off the truck, it resets. So also if you turn the truck to the ACC setting with the radio on and then restart the truck with the radio on, it will reset it. So basically to keep that setting. Turn off the radio before turning off the truck, and dont start the truck with the radio still on.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i agree, now im keeping my stock stereo and getting an ipod for my truck instead.
stoked.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Matt said:
The only thing I could think of was how it's displayed with just "|| |".WTF is that?
Exactly. WTF, mine is displayed like this: "ll ld"

It is still pretty cool though, thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man i was driving home from work and thought about this thread so i gave it a shot. What a difference it made..I enjoyed the sound quality coming from a stock radio now...Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
711 Posts
BK005 said:
Anyone smart enough to figure something out where it wont reset. I wonde rif its worh the time Fn with it, or just get a new radio.
Ummm... he said if you turn off the radio before you turn off the truck it will be there when you get back in. Cant afford a new radio yet so I'll stick with this POS for now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
anybody got a good idea on the treble, bass, and mid settings. i like to listen to it somewhat loud, but i dont listen to rap either. just classic rock and country. what setting suggestions do you guys have

1 - 20 of 124 Posts