TTORA Forum banner

How to improve handling after lift?

4K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  free 
#1 ·
If raising your truck inherently throws off the center of gravity, causing body roll, what are some improvements I can make in regards to handling? I'm adding a 3" OME lift to my double cab.

#2 ·
With the stiffer coils, it will offset the raised truck some. Also, the larger (usually) wider tires help too.

The swaybar is till used with the OME kit as well.

Mine is just as tight without any body roll with 285s and a 3 in OME lift. I think it rides better than before and I installed my kit at 4000 miles.

#6 ·
Slow down and pay attention, especially at freeway speeds. Don't do radical lane changes.

#7 ·
depends on what model you have....trd sport has heavy valving stiff springs and a really stiff swaybar......the offroad has soft progressive springs and soft valving and a small swaybar...the non trd is inbetween the 2......but from experience the sport handles great with a lift

#8 ·
If the OR has softer everything, why do people complain about the stiff ride????

Your handling wont take a jump off a cliff, but will be a little different... just drive smart and get a good alignment.

#11 ·
there have been threads on this before. the answer I find to be the best is new upper control arms. when you lift you change the angle that the control arms sit at; this in turn changes the caster (caster works just like the "casters" on an office chair, it makes the wheel swivel to the back). so if you don't have enough caster, or positive caster, you will constantly be fighting the truck to make it go straight. my suggestion is to get some total chaos upper control arms. hope this helps

#13 ·
so post the specs up... have been looking for them forever...

and that really is odd, as I always hear complaints about the stiffness, even looking at the coils, heavier coil with a tighter wind... should equal stiffer...

#15 ·
It would take a specs comparison to convince me there's a theoretical difference between Sport and OR driveability and handling. That, or possibly a lot more driving a Sport than the 35 mile test drive I did in one before I bought my TRD OR. They both were equally nimble, highly-responsive to steering input, handled uneven pavement/bumps well, and cornered like bricks. The ugly bump on the hood and no locker made me choose the OR.

With all the post-lift handling complaints I've seen, I must have gotten lucky. My initial complaint was understeer, brake diving and mild vibration. Discovered my tire pressures were set at door sticker specs and 33 psi front sweetened the diving/understeer; Road Force balancing eliminated the vibration.

I can't come up with the correct words to relate how frikken sweet my truck drives and handles. I've done a lot of lifts on other vehicles and no matter what parts I changed out, I remained dissatisfied about some aspect of ride/handling....you make compromises when you street and off road a truck. The OME system was as close to perfection as I need to get and there's nothing....absolutely nothing....I feel the slightest desire or need to change about it.

Again, the proof in my statements is in the fact that I have to beat my wife to the truck for me to be able to drive it. She just dislikes the winch and antenna....I need to find something to add that will seriously turn her off about it.
:D

#17 ·
I can't come up with the correct words to relate how frikken sweet my truck drives and handles. I've done a lot of lifts on other vehicles and no matter what parts I changed out, I remained dissatisfied about some aspect of ride/handling....you make compromises when you street and off road a truck. The OME system was as close to perfection as I need to get and there's nothing....absolutely nothing....I feel the slightest desire or need to change about it.

:D
I got a pretty good feeling after talking to Buddy King from ARB about their OME setup. They seemed to have paid attentetion to most deatils for a 3" lift. Its good to hear you like it too... cool.

oh yeah... you mentioned brake dive. ARB guy told me a good shop would re-calibrate your brakes after a lift such as an OME setup. He called it an "often overlooked detail".

#16 ·
N9EMZ: 10-4 bud. to each his own. I like my truck too, but the wife hates it:rolleyes: She loves her Mercedes, so she leaves my truck alone...except when she needs to haul the kids and gear to sporting events. Then it's her new found best friend :)

#21 ·
I beat the pure living crap out of my suspension for the first time at Bad Lands today. I got home tonight and put the fronts to the tape measure....I gained 1/4" left and 3/8" right front lift. The Dakars sagged 1-1/2".

Just to make sure, I'm going to remeasure tomorrow....after I unload the bedbox, second toolchest, coolers, camping gear, and 300 lbs of ground apples my wife picked up along the way.

The OME system performed fantastic, but damned if it ain't the noisiest suspension I've ever run....but I knew it was working for me with every "clunk."

Only complaint has nothing to do with OME....damned defective passenger mirror and shoddy paintjob.

#23 ·
No problem....wife was pissed until I talked her into taking her first wheeling lessons. She came away happy. I just bought a replacement power mirror unit for $50 shipped; the body shop held back 2 qts of paint from my last accident repair, and Mitch said I can borrow a touch-up gun.

Kind of looks nice with the tree-shaved mirror and cleaned up nice. I'm happy I didn't do more damage other than the mirror, door, and scraped up ARB & sliders. No sag either.

Wife's now itching for August and ChubFest 07 to happen. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.