TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grizzled Tacoma Veterans,

Has anyone here actually removed the starter motor? It looks to me like I should remove the rf wheel and the rubber fender liners and extract it through the wheel well.

Although it's tricky, I can unbolt and unhook it OK with a wobble extension but I won't remove it completely until I know how it comes out of the engine bay. I have to bench it to replace the contacts.

Anyone? Thanks in advance. Truck info follows.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On the older trucks there was a small panel of the inner fender that could be unbolted to access the starter but it's not like that on Tacos. The only 3.4L starter I've replaced was on our '89 which we sawpped the motor in and also cut out a lot of the inner fenders for the TC LT kit so it was a piece of cake. I'd assume that the starter does indeed come out through the wheelwell, you may need to undo the body mounts and lift the body off of the frame an inch or so to have enough room worst case...

Iceman said:
Grizzled Tacoma Veterans,

Has anyone here actually removed the starter motor? It looks to me like I should remove the rf wheel and the rubber fender liners and extract it through the wheel well.

Although it's tricky, I can unbolt and unhook it OK with a wobble extension but I won't remove it completely until I know how it comes out of the engine bay. I have to bench it to replace the contacts.

Anyone? Thanks in advance. Truck info follows.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just did this on a 96' Taco...

Started by unhooking the battery cables (a must when working under the hood)... I then pulled the wiring off the starter... Then the starter bolts.

To remove the starter, I pulled it out behind the RF tire... it was a tight squeeze but it made it...

Starter contacts were a cinch (done dozens of them on Cruisers ;))

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
I just had mine out the other day, I think I took mine out through the RF wheel-well, too. I have a body lift, though, and that makes it much easier.

--Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts