TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you secure your spare tire in the bed of your truck? I am looking for a good way to mount my spare flat in the bed and to make sure it is secure so that nobody can steal it. Pics will help.

Thanks
Patrick

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/html/misc.html
Fabtech makes a flat spare tire mount -
Basically consists of a plate with a large welded nut that bolts flat to the bed of the truck- And a large threaded wingnut is used to bolt down the spare - The wingnut can be padlocked to prevent theft.

I think 4wpw sells them

·
Registered
787 Posts
All you need to do in lay your tire flat where you want it, mark the center of the wheel and drill a whole through the bed of the truck. Weld a nut and some washers to the bottom of the bed and use some of the centering parts off of the stock spare tire carier along with a long carage (sp) bolt. Holds secure to the bed. As far as locking it down, if someone really wants it they will get it. No chain or cable or lock will stop them from getting it. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
115 Posts
alright, I've got a hole in the bed w/nut welded under it, a big bolt that goes w/ the nut and a heavy ass spare 35in tire/steel rim. I welded some flat bar to the bolt in a U shape to use as a handle, but to tighten it down tight enough for the tire to not move I scratch the rim all to hell. It seems to me a piece of circle plate would be necessary to prevent this and center the rim...am I missing something? is there a simple solution?

·
Registered
662 Posts
redneck said:
alright, I've got a hole in the bed w/nut welded under it, a big bolt that goes w/ the nut and a heavy ass spare 35in tire/steel rim. I welded some flat bar to the bolt in a U shape to use as a handle, but to tighten it down tight enough for the tire to not move I scratch the rim all to hell. It seems to me a piece of circle plate would be necessary to prevent this and center the rim...am I missing something? is there a simple solution?
I believe that's why the Fabtech one comes with two different plates, a metal one and a rubber one.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I built my own tire carrier like the Fabtech but made two changes.
1) I made the bed mount plates with pin slots. Remove 3 pins and the carrier comes out of the bed.
2) I couldnt figure out how to make a perfect circle to use for the center hold down, so I took my 4 way tire iron, cut each bar sepparate near the center then welded the cut ends to a piece of tube, I put gussets between each bar, looks pretty good and stores the tire iron.
Tim

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Patrick821 said:
How do you secure your spare tire in the bed of your truck? I am looking for a good way to mount my spare flat in the bed and to make sure it is secure so that nobody can steal it. Pics will help.

Thanks
Patrick
for the time it takes to actually make a decent mount, go out and spend teh money on the fabtech mount, i run it, i went a step further and took the stock tire iron, cut it off before the bend and welded it into the end of the fabtech mount, that way i could use it to take my tire off and not have to get any tools from inside the cab.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I just worked on a taco with the fabtech carrier, I'm not impressed, the mounting tabs are small, and the 35" tire is destroying his bed, check with Todd at Tuff Trucks, he has a couple of different styles in stock to choose from (angled & flat). www.tufftrucks.com reasonable prices also!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Let's say I mounted one of the angled ones with a 33 right up against the front of my bed. Would the tire stick up high enough to block my view in the rear view mirror?

Is tufftrucks.com the right url? It seems to be a truck specific search engine or something.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DesertTRD said:
for the time it takes to actually make a decent mount, go out and spend teh money on the fabtech mount, i run it, i went a step further and took the stock tire iron, cut it off before the bend and welded it into the end of the fabtech mount, that way i could use it to take my tire off and not have to get any tools from inside the cab.

Corey is right, just buy one. I made my own and would never do it again. By the time you add up the cost of the material, powder coat and the time it took to make it, its not worth the trouble. If you can't afford it right now just use a couple tie downs and a cable lock and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
generalee7 said:
Buy a double round tube bed bar and do this...

Brian whats going to happen to it though when you bounce off something? is it going to tear the bed up? i know rj has something similar on his shock hoops in the bed and its not damaging anything but the spare moves ALOT. you realy dont have anything to hold twisting motion, which can break off that mount...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Is tufftrucks.com the right url? It seems to be a truck specific search engine or something.[/QUOTE]

sorry man, missed a dash www.tuff-trucks.com that should work better for you.

He doesn't show anything on his site, these are the tire carriers he sells at www.cbioffroadfab.com in the images section, they can be purchased from either place, shipping will probly be less from tuff trucks

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
DesertTRD said:
Brian whats going to happen to it though when you bounce off something? is it going to tear the bed up? i know rj has something similar on his shock hoops in the bed and its not damaging anything but the spare moves ALOT. you realy dont have anything to hold twisting motion, which can break off that mount...
Hey Corey, so far it hasn't torn the bedsides up. It would probably fuck shit up if I were to jump my truck. With the single tube bed bar, it moves around a lot (forwards and backwards) is that the motion you are talking about? I was thinking a double tube bed bar with the mount in the middle would almost eliminate the forwards and backwards movement. I guess I'll just have to make one and report back!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
Brain
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing