TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a kenwood in car navigation system and wanted to understand how to use it when I'm offroading in Barstow. I can't upload maps of the offroad trails so all I see is a green background when on the dirt. I also don't have a flag feature where i could drop flags every so many miles and then back track. I could just use it as a map and just head to the direction i want but it doesn't help me decide which road to take if the road splits. I can get Longitude and Latitude readings but I have no idea how that works (even though i'm an engineer). So how do you guys use you're nav?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
off road, the most two common features are dropping a "breadcrumb" trail so you can get back, the second is map feature so you can "see" where you are or need to be. The good ones automatically create the breadcrumb trail when in an off road mode.

Play around with it and you will find it very useful.

Hope this helps,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Yup i have the eclipse 5500. It doesnt leave a breadcrumb trail at all....my nav shows all black when im in the dirt. I know that the Pioneer z1 shows a trail, but whatevr

Im planning to get a Lowrance anyways. Look into that Ray, they are sooo bad ass!

You can d/l maps and race course notes from other drivers. IE. If youre prerunning on a course and you have d/l'ed notes from another driver the navi will actually say "slow down, big turn ahead" or "big jump" hahaha thats pretty cool!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
I have a kenwood in car navigation system and wanted to understand how to use it when I'm offroading in Barstow. I can't upload maps of the offroad trails so all I see is a green background when on the dirt. I also don't have a flag feature where i could drop flags every so many miles and then back track. I could just use it as a map and just head to the direction i want but it doesn't help me decide which road to take if the road splits. I can get Longitude and Latitude readings but I have no idea how that works (even though i'm an engineer). So how do you guys use you're nav?
you are sol with that unit for off-roading. I have a Navman that has a lot of dirt roads but not 4x4 trails. I have used the coodinates to find myself on a 7.5 topo map, however ;)

want to get serious? get one of these:
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/GMBaja540c.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
hytenor said:
you are sol with that unit for off-roading. I have a Navman that has a lot of dirt roads but not 4x4 trails. I have used the coodinates to find myself on a 7.5 topo map, however ;)

want to get serious? get one of these:
http://www.lowrance.com/Automotive/Products/GMBaja540c.asp

just out of curiosity what is the difference between the 480c and the 540c?

i looked at all of the features and the looked the same. I like the 480 better, seems to be a little smaller?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
gregers05 said:
just out of curiosity what is the difference between the 480c and the 540c?

i looked at all of the features and the looked the same. I like the 480 better, seems to be a little smaller?
I recall this being asked alot......i think everything is the same except for the screen size (dont quote me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
marnes2986 said:
I recall this being asked alot......i think everything is the same except for the screen size (dont quote me)

they are both 5" screens. oh well i was just wondering, its not a big deal. im not going to have $500+ to blow on a navigation system that i will only use a couple times a year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
gregers05 said:
just out of curiosity what is the difference between the 480c and the 540c?

i looked at all of the features and the looked the same. I like the 480 better, seems to be a little smaller?

I love my 480c... and the screen is HUGE... in the Sammi, I just put it over the rear view (trail rig) and it loves to attract bugs at night, and the vehicle behind me can usually read the display! Haven't gotten the software to download area's into it yet, just using the Nor-Cal TOPO memory card that came with it. LOTS of detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,499 Posts
MrSammi said:
I love my 480c... and the screen is HUGE... in the Sammi, I just put it over the rear view (trail rig) and it loves to attract bugs at night, and the vehicle behind me can usually read the display! Haven't gotten the software to download area's into it yet, just using the Nor-Cal TOPO memory card that came with it. LOTS of detail.

lol thats awesome. how much did it run you and where did you get it from? i looked at a couple places but they didnt have the 480c or the 540
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
gregers05 said:
lol thats awesome. how much did it run you and where did you get it from? i looked at a couple places but they didnt have the 480c or the 540
My unit was part of a product test. They let us buy it for a discount when we were finished :)

I've seen several of them out on the trails, so I know they exist and I also have never seen any in stock... I just checked Amazon and they had two vendors that seemed to be expecting deliveries....? I'm looking into getting a Tacoma and have no idea where I'll put this thing! It really is BIG!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked out my kenwood NAV today and saw that i have a feature to mark points and input coordinates so i guess it might work. But i wonder how well marking points with coordinates that do not have a corresponding map will work. Just another thing I gotta try out. I'll look into lowrance.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
I checked out my kenwood NAV today and saw that i have a feature to mark points and input coordinates so i guess it might work. But i wonder how well marking points with coordinates that do not have a corresponding map will work. Just another thing I gotta try out. I'll look into lowrance.
there are plenty of other units out there that will do what you want. The Bajas are kind of the ultimate off-road gps ;)
http://gpsinformation.net/
these guys update their site every now and then. tons of info
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
458 Posts
SCEXPLORER said:
I checked out my kenwood NAV today and saw that i have a feature to mark points and input coordinates so i guess it might work. But i wonder how well marking points with coordinates that do not have a corresponding map will work. Just another thing I gotta try out. I'll look into lowrance.

The two vocabulary words you'll be looking for are 'track' and 'waypoint'.

a 'track' is a "breadcrumb" path of little dots that shows the path you have driven

a 'waypoint' is a "marker' that you set (usually by selecting an option in the kenwood, or by inputting co-ordinates directly into the system).

My oldest GPS (there are 4 of the beasties running around here)... just has a screen without a map, and shows my track and any waypoints that I might have added.


In use, you are usually driving on a road or trail, so finding your way isn't so much a foot to foot thing, so much as when and which way to turn at an intersection. If you have a 'waypoint' set at critical intersections and notes to tell you which way to turn...or put waypoints at the intersections and shortly thereafter down the trail so you know which way to turn.

I'd have a hard time believing any navigation unit wouldn't have a 'track' feature as well as a 'track-back' feature that you use to follow back on your original path--I've never seen any GPS without 'waypoints', and 'tracking'.

A map showing the trail does make things easier, but isn't required...actually the map babies you and doesn't make you look around at your surroundings as much and if that thing stopped working, you'd be in worse trouble!


Since I'm trying to put way too much information into one post, I might as well talk about Datum. Is a coordinate on one GPS and another GPS and a paper map the same? (hint: NO--or not always). Most newer GPS equipment is set to an agreed upon coordinate system (map Datum) called: WGS84 Newer maps are also of the same Datum...it's listed on the Map and either the owners manual for the GPS or in the settings for the GPS. In North America, the other most frequently confused Datum is NAD1927. The two Datum (WGS84- World Geologic Survey 1984 & NAD1927 - North American Datum 1927) are quite a bit off of each other in terms of distance (it varies depending on where in the country you are).... I'm pretty sure the Wentworth Springs getting lost debacle in last years Nor-Cal Rubicon run had something to do with Waypoints being given in one Datum and read in another... Anyways... a lot of waypoints taken early on in GPS were in the NAD1927 Datum, and has caused a bit of confusion... just mentioning it so you are aware to look for this!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
MrSammi said:
The two vocabulary words you'll be looking for are 'track' and 'waypoint'.

a 'track' is a "breadcrumb" path of little dots that shows the path you have driven

a 'waypoint' is a "marker' that you set (usually by selecting an option in the kenwood, or by inputting co-ordinates directly into the system).

My oldest GPS (there are 4 of the beasties running around here)... just has a screen without a map, and shows my track and any waypoints that I might have added.


In use, you are usually driving on a road or trail, so finding your way isn't so much a foot to foot thing, so much as when and which way to turn at an intersection. If you have a 'waypoint' set at critical intersections and notes to tell you which way to turn...or put waypoints at the intersections and shortly thereafter down the trail so you know which way to turn.

I'd have a hard time believing any navigation unit wouldn't have a 'track' feature as well as a 'track-back' feature that you use to follow back on your original path--I've never seen any GPS without 'waypoints', and 'tracking'.

A map showing the trail does make things easier, but isn't required...actually the map babies you and doesn't make you look around at your surroundings as much and if that thing stopped working, you'd be in worse trouble!


Since I'm trying to put way too much information into one post, I might as well talk about Datum. Is a coordinate on one GPS and another GPS and a paper map the same? (hint: NO--or not always). Most newer GPS equipment is set to an agreed upon coordinate system (map Datum) called: WGS84 Newer maps are also of the same Datum...it's listed on the Map and either the owners manual for the GPS or in the settings for the GPS. In North America, the other most frequently confused Datum is NAD1927. The two Datum (WGS84- World Geologic Survey 1984 & NAD1927 - North American Datum 1927) are quite a bit off of each other in terms of distance (it varies depending on where in the country you are).... I'm pretty sure the Wentworth Springs getting lost debacle in last years Nor-Cal Rubicon run had something to do with Waypoints being given in one Datum and read in another... Anyways... a lot of waypoints taken early on in GPS were in the NAD1927 Datum, and has caused a bit of confusion... just mentioning it so you are aware to look for this!


"I'd have a hard time believing any navigation unit wouldn't have a 'track' feature as well as a 'track-back' feature that you use to follow back on your original path--I've never seen any GPS without 'waypoints', and 'tracking'."

many of the simply road navigators do not have either feature. my Navman doesn't and neither do many of the other voice-prompt type units like it.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
foofighter said:
i've been looking as well and it's frustrating because i do want the best of both world, road map as well as the ability to track and breadcrumps. But when i talk to some of the yahoo's they are clueless w/ regards to that feature :-/
email the guys that do the site I posted in #12 ;)


no one unit does it all. but, you can look into a PDA with gps and run one of the topo map software pks along with the voice activated stuff. HP has a new unit out as well as a few others but they are so new there really isn't much feedback on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
If you really feel like delving into another forum, and wasting hours of your life at a time... click below.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp

That has lots of info on many GPS units. Also you'll find, though many portable GPS units don't support off-road and marine mapping in their stock form, there are lots of downloadable files that can add those functionalities.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
wicked2007
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top