TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 3.4 V6 tacoma with 107,000 miles on it, and its geting slugish any ideas how to wake it up besides a k&n air filter and throtlebody spacer?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sorry, but the spacer wont do you any good besides put you out of money. Try the deckplate mod before you go drop any money on the k&n.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
basically cutting a 4 inch hole in your airbox to let more air in. then you put a deckplate from a boating store in the hole so you can seal it back off if you want to

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
nctoyotaboy1988 said:
deckplate mod ?
After installing a Scangauge, I have found the deckplate mod to be a bunch of bull...

You are just letting a lot more HOT air into the motor. How does this increase power?

It was 52 degrees out, I was towing a load at night. My intake air temps were 102 degrees. Yeah, that's adding a lot of horsepower.

In stop and go traffic, my IA temps are 30 degrees higher.

On the freeway, my IA temps are 10 degrees higher.

My belief that when the dyno was done, the hood was either open, or it wasnt warmed up to the max temp (or started up earlier) and the IA weren't hot enough yet...

With the cover installed, and the elbow removed, my IA temps were only 3 degrees higher than outside air temps, and that was with some stop and go, but mostly in the city. It also takes a lot longer for the temps to rise.

I'm ditching this setup and getting a real Cold Air intake: Outlaw X...

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Deckplate only makes it sound like an Integra.....very ricey. Get an intake, or something. Supercharger is the only real way to get anything out of that engine.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
rubberpants said:
Deckplate only makes it sound like an Integra.....very ricey. Get an intake, or something. Supercharger is the only real way to get anything out of that engine.
X2. If you want power, just get a supercharger and the URD fuel mods...

I would stay away form a KandN though. Lets more heat in and I have seen a lot of members have problems with the tube rubbing the "heat plate" Moreover a hot air intake than anything...

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
nctoyotaboy1988 said:
the only bad thing about a supercharger is haveing to run premum gas in it, of corse if you play you gota pay.
yes sir....

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
nctoyotaboy1988 said:
the only bad thing about a supercharger is haveing to run premum gas in it, of corse if you play you gota pay.
Then if you want something fast, get a car...

Best bang for buck. You get more mpg...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got a link to a bunch of guys that tested four popular cold air intake filters out there. Blitz, HKS, K&N, and Apexi. Hope that helps you guys out!

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

I've put in the Apexi filters, and they actually increased my MPG instead of guzzling more gas for my vehicles by 30-50 km (sorry, I live up here in Canada). And with Apexi, you don't have to clean it out every year with oil like K&N. They're a bit more pricey than K&N, but it's well worth it for the sake of the heart of your truck.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
go get a center exhaust pipe off a 2002 camry 4 cyl. from a junkyard.
It will bolt up to Your cat. The resonator is like an oldschool cherry bomb ,and then cut the excess off just in front of the rear axle. it will open your engine on the low end and it has a great exhaust note.

·
Registered
103 Posts
nctoyotaboy1988 said:
i have a 1998 3.4 V6 tacoma with 107,000 miles on it, and its geting slugish any ideas how to wake it up besides a k&n air filter and throtlebody spacer?
Maybe it just needs some new sparkplugs? has the timing belt been changed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Moreover a hot air intake than anything...
LMAO to the HAI comment. I've been doing engine modifications for years on Volkswagens and I turned to the this site to see what could be done for my Taco.

When I saw all the raving about the deckplate mod I had to check it out. When I saw that a hole was drilled in the airbox to let HOT air in, I was out.

A properly built CAI will help cool IAT temps and give a LITTLE gain but adding hot air to the equation ESPECIALLY with a supercharger isn't going to help at all.

My vote is for an exhaust and if you really want more power, forced induction is the only way to go.

Good luck,

Jason

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
LMAO to the HAI comment. I've been doing engine modifications for years on Volkswagens and I turned to the this site to see what could be done for my Taco.

When I saw all the raving about the deckplate mod I had to check it out. When I saw that a hole was drilled in the airbox to let HOT air in, I was out.

A properly built CAI will help cool IAT temps and give a LITTLE gain but adding hot air to the equation ESPECIALLY with a supercharger isn't going to help at all.

My vote is for an exhaust and if you really want more power, forced induction is the only way to go.

Good luck,

Jason
X2. Sure, there are dyno's to prove the gains, but the dyno must have been done with the hood open, or the engine has not been running for a while.

I bet if they do a dyno after the motor has been sitting in some traffic, and pulling the +20 Intake temps like I am seeing, it would benefit nothing, if not make it worse...

Outlaw intake ordered today. Can't stand the Hot air intake.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts