TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 and I need to change the pads, they are giving me the sqeeky indicator sound. Is this an easy task? I have the new pads already, can anyone direct me to a "how to" writeup? Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
trahsub said:
I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 and I need to change the pads, they are giving me the sqeeky indicator sound. Is this an easy task? I have the new pads already, can anyone direct me to a "how to" writeup? Thanks :cool:
Jack up truck, remove wheel. Remove pin retaining clip and pins and spring. Remove one brake pad. Push in piston, install new brake pad, repeat for other brake pad. Reinstall wheel. Lower truck. Repeat for other side. Torque lugnuts. Go easy on the brakes for a week or so. That's it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Jack up truck, remove wheel. Remove pin retaining clip and pins and spring. Remove one brake pad. Push in piston, install new brake pad, repeat for other brake pad. Reinstall wheel. Lower truck. Repeat for other side. Torque lugnuts. Go easy on the brakes for a week or so. That's it!
you forgot: bleed brakes

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
ElBandito said:
you forgot: bleed brakes
Actually, if you don't open up the system there's no need to bleed the brakes. But it doesn't hurt.. in fact I usualy flush out all the old fluid and replace with new and bleed them when ever I replace the pads.. it helps the entire system work better and last longer.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
Dont forget to remove the Master Cylinder Cap before compressing the pistons in your Calipers!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shakerhood said:
Dont forget to remove the Master Cylinder Cap before compressing the pistons in your Calipers!
If I remove the cap will I have to bleed the brakes? Should I pick up one of those brake bleeding kits from vatozone??

·
Registered
565 Posts
trahsub said:
If I remove the cap will I have to bleed the brakes? Should I pick up one of those brake bleeding kits from vatozone??
You will not have to bleed if you only remove the cap. You remove the cap to allow the extra fluid from pushing in the pistons to more easily flow back into the reservoir.

·
Registered
288 Posts
DOING THE PAD IS A PITA.........j/k

Actually they are quite easy, just to add what has been said......

After removing the cap from the master cylinder, you may have to remove some of the fluid, if the pads are completely worn down. Pushing the pistons back in, will force the fluid back into the reservoir. Depending on how full it is to begin with, it could overflow or end up overfilled. Pressure bleeding the system to flush it is a good idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BruceTS said:
DOING THE PAD IS A PITA.........j/k

Actually they are quite easy, just to add what has been said......

After removing the cap from the master cylinder, you may have to remove some of the fluid, if the pads are completely worn down. Pushing the pistons back in, will force the fluid back into the reservoir. Depending on how full it is to begin with, it could overflow or end up overfilled. Pressure bleeding the system to flush it is a good idea.
Pressure bleeding is just filling the reservior while pumping the brake pedal right? I think I can handle that with an extra set of hands.

·
Keyser Soze
546 Posts
trahsub said:
Pressure bleeding is just filling the reservior while pumping the brake pedal right? I think I can handle that with an extra set of hands.
No, pressure bleading refers to a system that forces new fluid into the system via the master cylinder while it is drained out of the slave cylinders. No pumping is required.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts