TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm totally new to this concept, I was under the impression that rack and pinion was weak for offroading. Is that true?

Mine is an 07 Tacoma btw.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well, they do wear out and clunk a bit, but they seem to do all right. I've seen them bend an amazing amount and not break.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,585 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
Since I'm totally new to this concept, I was under the impression that rack and pinion was weak for offroading. Is that true?

Mine is an 07 Tacoma btw.
For the stock trucks, the R&P works just fine. When you start lifting the truck and running bigger tires, the R&P starts to show its weaknesses. The inner tie-rod ends are a poor design, so they usually wear out quickly. The rack is pretty strong, but the guides and seals do wear, and bigger tires dont help. My stock rack lasted 250k miles before I decided to replace it. The seals and guides were done. The rack still functioned, but leaked and had too much play.

Trouble is that there is no upgrade to the rack, short of doing a SAS (solid axle swap) and running an older style steering box with crossover steering.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of what I thought. I had the same problem in my Nissan Frontier, weak stock stearing with idler arm, centerlink, etc.

The more I learn about my new Toyota, the more I regret getting it. It will be nothing more than a daily driver with AT's. I refuse to invest $2,000 just to put on an ARB for my existing winch. I'm not one to beat up a $30,000 truck for the fun of it.

I'll buy an old solid axle beater wheeler with the $2,000 and not look back. The upgrades would be far cheaper on it vs. a new truck.

This sucks! I wished Toyota and other manufacturers would build and actual 4x4. The FJ is the closest thing in years and it's still no wheeler without extensive upgrades as well. I know they are trying to build a longer last truck cheaper but, back in the day when Toyota had a solid axle 4x4, those were real trucks then. You couldn't pay someone enough money now if they have one in good condition. No weak steering, no IFS junk, just crossover steering and solid axles strong enough for 35's.

Yeah, I'm an old-schooler. I just want my winch on my new truck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That clunkiness that is described....I have been feeling a sort of knocky vibration coming up through the steering wheel on my truck when I'd go over bumps etc. at times since I bought it with about 70k on it. Is that the steering rack?

I had asked the stealership about it when I first got the truck and they said they could find nothing that I was talking about...but to me something just felt loose.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah right, i'm with Ozark-Taco, and sorry to get off topic.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
LavosTRD said:
not everyone is in love with rocks and mud
but I thought you WERE in love with rocks and mud...little tiny rocks and very dry mud...:p

·
Registered
663 Posts
You are good to go with tires up to 33X12.5 with R&P. Mine has held up well to wheeling all sorts of terrain. I've replaced my rack once due to it being cheaper to buy a reman rack than to buy the inner tie-rod ends from the dealer. I ran my lift and 33X12.5 tires for five years before I needed to replace the inner tie-rod ends. :2cents:

·
Registered
395 Posts
barnaby said:
That clunkiness that is described....I have been feeling a sort of knocky vibration coming up through the steering wheel on my truck when I'd go over bumps etc. at times since I bought it with about 70k on it. Is that the steering rack?

I had asked the stealership about it when I first got the truck and they said they could find nothing that I was talking about...but to me something just felt loose.
Yea that's it. I just told them I drove down a washboarded dirt road and felt it rattleing or knocking the the wheel. They replaced the rack under warranty.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ozark-Taco said:
That's kind of what I thought. I had the same problem in my Nissan Frontier, weak stock stearing with idler arm, centerlink, etc.

The more I learn about my new Toyota, the more I regret getting it. It will be nothing more than a daily driver with AT's. I refuse to invest $2,000 just to put on an ARB for my existing winch. I'm not one to beat up a $30,000 truck for the fun of it.

I'll buy an old solid axle beater wheeler with the $2,000 and not look back. The upgrades would be far cheaper on it vs. a new truck.

This sucks! I wished Toyota and other manufacturers would build and actual 4x4. The FJ is the closest thing in years and it's still no wheeler without extensive upgrades as well. I know they are trying to build a longer last truck cheaper but, back in the day when Toyota had a solid axle 4x4, those were real trucks then. You couldn't pay someone enough money now if they have one in good condition. No weak steering, no IFS junk, just crossover steering and solid axles strong enough for 35's.

Yeah, I'm an old-schooler. I just want my winch on my new truck.
You must remember grasshoppa, Toyota doesn't really want you to put aftermarket stuff on your truck. They want you to put TRD stuff on your truck. The other thing to realize is that stock your truck is pretty damn capable. How much have you wheeled it stock? I've impressed the hell outta people with a stock taco. I've taken it places noone thought it would go.

Did you ever think about just getting a brush guard with a winch mount on it? It'll weigh less and still look pretty good.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, that's what I'm looking at now as an option.

This won't be a wheeler, just a DD. I just want to be able to wheel it in rare conditions. In other words, be able to go places when I need to for camping and hunting or whatever. Thus, why I want the winch. I'm thinking more towards the receiver hitch style with a Warn Trans4mer so the winch is not on the truck all the time. Only when needed.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If I had it to do all over again, I would have started out buying a front locker and body protection and sticking with the 31" tires, although I would upgrade the tires to a MT. Instead, when I finally started modding the truck, I started out with a lift and 33X12.5s and added a rear locker and body protection later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts