TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, Howdy everyone!

Looks like there’s a new Sheriff in town, so to speak. :)

First off, I would like to thank Shannon for appointing me take over as your President. It means a lot when someone trusts you to take the helm of a ship that they built. I am also proud to be the first Texas Chapter President from North Texas.

Thanks to Carlos for keeping things going for as long as you did, and for being a friend. You especially outdid yourself at the National takeover Last Year, and put together one of the best events I ever had the pleasure of attending.

Finally, thanks to Vince for stepping up when I felt I had to step back last summer- you performed admirably and I look forward to working with you in the future.

I think everyone ought to step back for a moment and thank these three for the amount of time and money they have invested to support things and provide an outlet for us to enjoy our hobby.

If any of you don’t know me, that means you don’t wheel enough, and I am here to change that. :)

Overall, one of the biggest problems that have plagued TTORA as long as I can remember was simply the demographics- young guys growing into a hobby they discover can be very expensive. I am going to focus on the basics, to help guys realize that you don’t have to spend a lot of money on the latest and greatest to enjoy your truck, and give you ample opportunities to get off-road, have fun and make friends. In my opinion, that’s really what it is all about.

Vince’s favorite saying was “We had us some fun.” I am going to continue to work around that theme, and hopefully when everything is said & done, that’s all that everyone will remember of my time in the saddle here. I hope to be remembered as “the wheelin’ Prez”.

I have asked Harold Miller to be your Vice President, and I have asked Vince to stay on in a new position as Trail Master. Both have eagerly accepted the challenge.

Vice President is not really a subservient position IMO. Harold’s position is to primarily work with me, as a team mate. I have no doubt we will be a great team. Harold is young, full of energy and his heart is in the right place. In his short time back on the forums, he has made a dramatic and highly technical transformation of his rig, he has attended almost every event in Texas and has rediscovered his appreciation of the outdoors.

I would say that the moment that defines him most in my mind was following the last Texas Takeover in October. Lawton got upset about some trash left behind, and was blaming TTORA and throwing a real fit. The next weekend, TTR went over to BMRA to clean up, and Harold was the only person not from DFW to make the trip. He drove up solo for over 4 hours to pick up trash and make sure things were okay, and drove back home. That right there spoke volumes about him as far as I am concerned.

So, with his solid technical background, a passion for wheeling & the outdoors and a sense of duty, he was a natural choice for me as a partner in this… Thanks for accepting the challenge. :)

Trail Master is a position that really just requires time around major events- planning & more importantly, execution. Vince displayed sound leadership and organization at Takeover last year, and I think this position would really afford him the opportunity to continue contributing in a very important way, but still not be such a burden on his time like a full-time position would be.

One of the first areas I will focus on will be to support strong, recognizable leaders in each geographic area. I believe that the forum is a great “virtual” gathering place for Toyota off-road vehicle owners and enthusiasts and a communication tool to share information, arrange get-togethers, develop relationships and host a bulletin board to post ads. It doesn’t, however, replace personal interaction. I will continue to support more personal interactions (meetings, WATs, BBQ’s, day trips, etc.) and help everyone re-discover their love for the outdoors.

Either Harold or I will be available to occasionally attend meetings in the various areas. I am willing to hit the road, and he is as well.

When people meet people the fun really begins!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I would like to introduce some people that have stepped up and offered to help get things moving:

North Texas Regional Director: Brad Cooper (cooper4x4)

I first meet Brad at Texas Takeover 2004 in Katemcy. He was one of the few guys not from DFW that chose to camp out at that rainy event, and we hit it off immediately. Since moving up here, I am privileged to now consider him a good friend. We work together on the Board of Directors of the Toyota Trail Riders were he serves as Treasurer. Brad is leaving today for his wedding & honeymoon, but he is ready to help us in any way he can upon his return.

Central Texas Regional Director: Adam Nino (mudwieser)

I think Adam is a big part of what holds that area together, and with the proper support he can grow membership. He has a passion for wheeling and natural leadership that will serve him well in bringing the Central Area together. Part of my focus is to bring more Texas TTORA events to the central area simply because it is “equally inconvenient” for most everyone, and will provide access for more folks to get together.

East Texas Regional Director: Marco Lozano (Marcopolo)

Like Adam, I believe Marco has displayed the drive to pull people together and a willingness to help make things happen. He has proven himself a fearless wheeler since the first time I met him on the trail, and he not only has developed good wheeling & spotting skills, but he also is a natural leader who really has helped make the East area as successful as it is.

South Texas Regional Director: Bobby Robles (hurley994)

South Texas, like West Texas, has always been kind of “adrift”. Bobby seems to know a fair amount of folks, and has been active on the forums for a long time; him and me first getting acquainted back in the Delphi days. He has maintained ties to the Central Area due to a lack of membership in his area, but it hasn’t been due to a lack of effort on his part. In fact, Bobby is one of the few that took the “flyer” program to heart and has passed out many, paid for out of his own pocket.

I think the key to getting that area going is for the East/Central groups to try and support their efforts at recruiting and bringing together guys for a run or two down there- Satan’s Playground comes to mind, but I know there are other areas as well. I think it has good potential for growth (compared to the West).

Each one of these guys is going to need an Area Leader to help them. I am a firm believer in 2 things:

1. Teamwork is the foundation for success in any group endeavor.
2. It has to be fun- and feeling like you are pulling the wagon alone is the quickest way to burnout someone in a volunteer capacity

So if you are approached by one of the Regional Directors, please give them an honest assessment of what you are willing & able to do. If you may not be able to be their partner (Area Leader), tell them what you are willing to do (post up meetings, work emails, host wrench-a-thons, help with website, scout trails, etc.).

If everyone works together and shares just one of their unique talents, everyone will get more value out of their personal association with TTORA.

Harold and I look forward to serving you. See you on the trails!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Thanks, Chris.

I first want to take the opportunity to thank Carlos and Vince for everything that they've done. I was unfortunately not able to make National TakeOver so I didn't see first hand all the work that Carlos and team put into making the event a success. While I wasn't there, I heard so many great things about how organized and planned the entire event was. I was, however, able to make the TX/Halloween TakeOver that Vince worked very hard on. Everything was great and most importantly "We had us sum fun!". :)

I am honored to accept the position as VP of TX TTORA. I originally joined TTORA back in 2000 when the club was in it's infancy (at least it seemed that way ;)). I took my open PreRunner through the sloppy mud of Spring Creek. While it was fun, I felt that my PreRunner was just not capable enough to continue the sport. Last year I discovered the boards again and found that it had grown exponentially in size. The '06 Jamboree was coming up and I had just enough time to get a hot deal on a supercharger and get it installed in time for the event. It was a blast and enjoyed everyone's help (Marco, Manny, and Lindsay) getting through some tricky 2-diamond trails for my open PreRunner ;). The event also showed me how capable a 4x4 Taco was and in less than a month, I converted to 4x4. Since then, I haven't been able to stay off the trails or put the wrench down. I've been an active member of TTORA ever since and love every minute of it.

As Chris mentioned, one of the first things that we will be doing is working to form more structure in the different regions. With a state as big as Texas, having activity in the different regions can sometimes be a challenge, but Chris and I are working to form better and easier ways of trying to attract more members in those perspective regions.

Once again, thank you to Carlos and Vince for everything that you've contributed to this organization.

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Let the fun begin! :D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
As one of the young wheeling noobs, I'll start supporting the new leadership by going to Gilmer at the end of the month:D

Seriously, I have to personally thank Harold for getting me started (active) for the last run to Gilmer. It would have been impossible to get my truck ready for wheeling without Harold swapping my diffs before the run, showing me basics of 4X4 and truck wrenching.

Another important factor for me to get started was the motivation from Carlos during that weekend at Gilmer. He put together a good-safe and fun wheeling experience. So, after that i decided to be active with the club.

Congrats Chris! I don't know you personally, but looking forward to a good wheeling experience with you at the end of the month.

Ben

·
Reppin the Flips on TTORA
798 Posts
Man, this is gonna be GREAT!

We've got many natural leaders here on TTORA, and the Texas Chapter seems to have the best of them. Thanks to Carlos and Vince for for their commitment to promoting TXTTORA, and their efforts to keep it rollin'. Carlos' truck itself is a rolling advertisement for TTORA.com!!!

For all of you who take the time to lead this group, and contribute to it's success....a BIG Thank You from all of us!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Thank you to Vince and Carlos for a job well done. And i'm sure we can't get rid of you that easly lol!! So I look forward to still seeing you 2 on the trails.

Congrats and thank you to King and Harley for steping up and taking the positions.

I look forward to leading my Central guys and keep that snow balling going on new member almost every week it seems like.

Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
excellent staff choices all the way around! carlos and CR did a fantastic job for national takeover, the best event i have been to by far. i hope they can still contribute in the future as best they can. tx takeover was as fun as ever last year, one of my better trips. vince is the man! i approve! :clap:

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Congrats to all those who stepped up to lead and guide this club toward it's ultimate goal of Wheeling and friendship. I can't wait to see what new things come to place and do my part to assist. :kewl: I hope to remain as active as I want to be, but with my expanding family some things will have to change...temporarily or until I can get my shit converted, then its on!

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
thanks to C-note and Vince for the efforts yous guys have put into this club. Thanks to CK and Harley for stepping up to the plate.
I am glad I was there that weekend after TXTO to help clean up too(Harley wasn't the only non dfw guy there), That was the weekend that I sold Bekah on the idea of wheeling, and I know she is excited about the new leadership as well as getting my machine back on the trails.
I am sure that, although in my absance from wheeling trips due to work, It will be a great time and we will deffinatly have us some fun.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Carlos and Harley I've already thanked you guys personally so don't expect anymore A$$ ki$$ing. LOL No seriously, you guys went the extra mile to help us out not familiar with the terain. Shit, Harold even stayed extra hours to scope out the other trails not taken on the Sunday we were coming back from Gilmer. You know I would have stayed behind to watch your back for just in case shit if my wife wasn't expecting soon that day. That says a lot guys; thanks for helping out!
Vince and Chris I haven't wheeled with you guys yet but by the sound of it, I'm looking forward to it. I likes what I hear and read. BTW, Vince you cook a mean BBQ.
Hey, like I told Carlos and Harold a while back, if you need any help just LMK and I'll give you a hand.
I'm still tring to get word back from Leslie at TMTC. I have emailed her and left her two phone messages. She said she want to meet with us at Houston in one of our monthly meetings but I not sure what month by the looks of it. Her goal is very similar to what Chris has in mind. she mentioned there is a significant drop of non renewal members with TMTC and she wanted to come by and talk to us a little of what is currently going on with TMTC.

Anyways congrats guys and I look foward to wheeling with you.

Laters!
Jose

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
This is good news to hear Chris. I may not be in the state any longer, buy you can count on me to help in anyway I can. I maybe a bit further Northeast now, but I still consider Texas my home.

Harley I don't think we have ever met, but I too, have been a member since early 2000 (if not late 99). But I have heard good things about you so I expect you to be a solid staff member, especially if Chris was your appointer…he has good judgement.

It was hard to leave Texas and TxTTORA was a big part of it being hard to leave! The area leaders, chosen that I know, are sound members for the positions! (Adam I will have my eye on you even closer as I was the first central area leader.;))

TxTTORA keep on keeping on! Believe it or not, there are other chapters modelled after what you guys are doing. stay strong and have fun!

Again congrats to all the new officers. And to Brad! bud I tried, but the funds were just not there for me to make the trip…I am sorry, But I am sure you will enjoy the honeymoon

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Thanks to Carlos and Vince for y'all's hard work, and congrats to Chris and Harold!

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
Carlos finally got fired! Congrats to ChrisK and Harold, things can only get better!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Carlos finally got fired! Congrats to ChrisK and Harold, things can only get better!
LOL, no asshole. I didn't get FIRED :) I decided to step down! Go sew Tina a new sweater or some socks or something! :)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Impeach the new president!!!

JK. I know Chris will do a great job, with his wealth of experience and pimp ass camo wal mart jacket. And harold is cool too. :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts