TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 TRD, 2.5" lift.

I have had a whining/howling noise on the truck for years. I had the diff rebuilt by Zuk about 10 years ago, not really for that issue but it did not cure it so it might not be the diff. It happens in any gear although of course hard to hear in higher gears. Letting off the gas when in gear makes a whining noise. It goes away if I push in the clutch. I just had manual trans rebuilt so I know it's not that.

I checked the diff pinion for play, there might be a millimeter of sideways play, no oil leak. I could try re torquing it but it's 145 ft-lbs so I would probably have to make a tool to hold the pinion flange. Anyone done this? I forgot to check the transfer case output play, will do that. Did not see any uni joint play which surprises me given my high miles. My driveshaft center bearing is shot so I need to replace that.

I saw an old thread here which claims it could be driveshaft issues and best to just live with it. I'm probably noticing it more now because I got new tires and removed the spare - I think the spare deflected some of the noise when installed.

Anyone have this issue? It's a truck so I should probably just live with it but I'd like to try and diagnose it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
12 Posts
My 4 runner does that. It has for almost 150,000 miles too. Some whine on acceleration but more on deceleration. I resolved to live with it about 15 years ago. So far so good. 3.4L and automatic. My Tacoma with the same mileage and engine/transmission is quiet. (~240,000 mi)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just realized that I have had a problem with the driveshaft spline as long as I remember. When I grease the driveshaft spline the grease forces the spline apart and no grease escapes so its clogged. This is also why when I go over bumps on both wheels I get an odd thump noise. I always thought it was spare bouncing but I think it's the leaf springs/diff getting pushed back by the locked driveshaft. Obviously this puts stress on everything connected to the driveshaft.

So need to address that, replace the center bearing and go from there. I really don't think its the diff, I recall being very disappointed that the whine was not gone when I installed the rebuilt rear diff although the pinion bearing was trashed.

I'm probably very lucky that nothing is broken from the driveshaft being locked like that. Not sure it's completely locked but close to it.

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
12 Posts
My 4Runner does not have that center bearing of course so mine seem like it must be in the diff.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,503 Posts
Have you had the problem since you installed the re-built diff? Zuk is awesome at what he does, so I wouldn't immediately suspect that being the issue, but the diff gearing is a common source of that problem. Driveshaft is next common source. You'll need to isolate the source of the noise to solve the problem.

Don't change that pinion torque. If you did, you could be changing the bearing preload and that will cause bearing noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts