TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an HP44 and was wondering if the axle tubes are only pressed into the center section or both pressed and weled around the seem?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Saw on one of those 4x4 shows where they were beating up a lightly built/stockish jeep before they went through it with all new bling stuff and they managed to spin the driver axle tube in the housing :D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The previous owner of my axle must have added a coule of weld beads on each side. I'.m thinking of running a bead all around. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
682 Posts
the housing is cast, just be careful welding on it.
X2, I don't recall the pre-heat procedure... I do remember to let it cool SLOWLY as in wrap it in some sort of fire-resistant blanket. Otherwise after the first pass you'll get the nice tinkle/ticking noise of your welds cracking.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I see needing welded to the center section is the driver side spring perch. However, according to what I've read, the factory castor settings on an HP44 is 6*-7* already. If once I mount it under my rig and bolted to the leafs, couldn't I just use shims to ensure they stay at 6-7* of positive castor? I'd rather avoid welding to the center section if at all posible.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The only thing I see needing welded to the center section is the driver side spring perch. However, according to what I've read, the factory castor settings on an HP44 is 6*-7* already. If once I mount it under my rig and bolted to the leafs, couldn't I just use shims to ensure they stay at 6-7* of positive castor? I'd rather avoid welding to the center section if at all posible.
From what I've read shims are okay up front if they are steel and welded to the spring perch.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I didnt need shims on mine. The slight tilt of the waggys gave it perfect castor. We set the inner C's to 0 according to the perches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts