TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed my Heat/AC Dash Control Unit because my fan blower speed switch burned up and failed.
I have a 95.5 SR5 3.4.

While this whole thing was moderately difficult because I had to remove all of the cables, it wasn't terrible. I've had issues with the tip of one of the cables for years and it looks like the tip of it bit the dust so obviously I couldn't re-attach it.

I have the 'fun' sliding HVAC controls found in the older non-Tacoma trucks since I guess Toyota didn't change to the circular knobs until a year or so later Tacoma models.

So, the sliding 'chicklet' knob which controls the temp (left to cool, right to heat) has 2 cables attached to it.

One of the cables runs toward the left inside the dash , and the other cable runs toward the right. The cable that runs off to the right is the one that's broken.

I looked at a doner Dash Control unit and noticed that:
The cable that runs to the Left is pulled open when "heat" is chosen on the slider.
The cable that runs to the Right is pulled open when "cool" is chosen on the slider.
Naturally, as one closes, the other one opens, and vice versa.

I'm getting lukewarm air simply based on the last position of the Right cable when it finally broke.

I'm wondering if someone who's been working/fixing these knows 2 things:

1. Where does this "Right" temp control cable go ? The firewall switch ?
2. What's the official name of the cable ? Below is the list I've gathered from parts diagrams of all of the HVAC cables and I've tried to eliminate the 2 obvious ones, so I think it's either the Airmix Damper Control or the Water Valve Control Cable.

55909-35040 Cable Sub-Assy, Airmix Damper Control
55906-35030 Cable Sub-Assy, Defroster Damper Control (Presume this is air output direction? i.e. floor, cab, defrost ?)
55907-35040 Cable Sub-Assy, Water Valve Control
55908-35020 Cable Sub-Assy, Air Inlet Damper Control (Presume this is fresh/recirc air intake?)

Thanks much for the help!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,623 Posts
I'm not familiar with the specific routing or mechanics of the cables, but there is definitely one that opens and closes the door to the heater core and a second that goes through the firewall to the coolant valve on the top center of the firewall.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SS !

I also saw this post heater help

but the OP never came back to document the solution. I'm going to have my daughter slide the temp control slider and I'll see if the coolant valve moves; otherwise I'll look near the heater core. Just looking for a quick fix now before I can replace the cable, which hopefully Toyota still makes.
I'll report back when I figure things out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it looks like the coolant valve does moves when I slid the temp control chicklet. I also looked down at the heater core/ac 'door' cable connection, and that doesn't move. I'm pretty sure I saw the correct cable end - right above where a passenger's left foot would be. I'll go order a new cable - thanks for the help SS !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately the part 55909-35040 is discontinued. Anyone happen to have one lying around ? It's the heater/ac damper mix control. I guess I have to start hunting junkyards. None found on Ebay, either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts