TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyones heard of the Taco getting the hybrid option sicne the Prius has done so well. The low end that the electric motor offers would be nice for crawling. Dont know about mudd though....

·
Registered
77 Posts
TacoTaco said:
Just wondering if anyones heard of the Taco getting the hybrid option sicne the Prius has done so well. The low end that the electric motor offers would be nice for crawling. Dont know about mudd though....
I've seen many articles that they are in the works but I have yet to see a definate release date for it.

I have seen so many of the prius cars on the bases in my area. I know of one office that has 6 members of that office that have a prius sitting outside of it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
TacoTaco said:
Honda just came out with the V6 Accord....I can't imagine Toyota doesn't have something in the works with the Camry, Solara...and hopefully the Tacoma. :)

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
TacoTaco said:
Saw an article in a car mag from about a year ago. There is a company in (I believe) Utah that sells conversion kits for our trucks that seemed pretty sweet. You can run Propane, natural gas, hydrogen or any combination of the 3. They tested the units out on a 99 TRD 4x4 V6 X-cab Taco. They said that simply adding in some hydrogen to the other two increased their milage by 20-25 percent. They did a run across the USA to promote their stuff. I think they said the price was about 5-6k for the conversions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heatstroke said:
Saw an article in a car mag from about a year ago. There is a company in (I believe) Utah that sells conversion kits for our trucks that seemed pretty sweet. You can run Propane, natural gas, hydrogen or any combination of the 3. They tested the units out on a 99 TRD 4x4 V6 X-cab Taco. They said that simply adding in some hydrogen to the other two increased their milage by 20-25 percent. They did a run across the USA to promote their stuff. I think they said the price was about 5-6k for the conversions.

I would recommend anyone who has the TRD supercharger look into propane injection. Propane's octane rating is 110, most kits you can find still require gas. But you only have to fill the tank every month. I have yet to see a standalone system, was looking into it for my celica.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Heatstroke said:

You are talking about Intergalactic Hydrogen
http://www.h2go.info/

they are out of Steamboat Springs, CO....the President is Tai Robinson a former winter Olympian and he lives in UT...his dad founded the company and is in Steamboat!
a back issue of Automobile has the parts list for the conversion...maybe where you saw it!

·
Registered
878 Posts
NWDave said:
I would recommend anyone who has the TRD supercharger look into propane injection. Propane's octane rating is 110, most kits you can find still require gas. But you only have to fill the tank every month. I have yet to see a standalone system, was looking into it for my celica.
I know of running a propane rub on a diesel engine but not a gasoline engine...propane adds O2 for combustion like nitrous-oxide, only in a gasoline combustion chamber propane doesn't do very well like it does in a compression engine, it's to volatile.. nitrous is much more economical.

I've seen several cars that run straight on propane gas...much of the conversion kits you see that still require gasoline are pure crap!

·
Registered
38 Posts
My old auto teacher used to have a gasoline powered fullsize Chevy truck that was converted to run on propane. He said it was a REAL dog powerwise. Like was stated propane injection is popular in diesels though for added horsepower.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses..... good to know that it should be coming out. I wonder how tolerant they will be of lift kits??? I dont see why a coil over type lift wouldnt still work, provided it keeps with the original design. Thoughts???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts