TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished as SAS and added hydro assist. Ive read forum after forum trying to figure something out. Ive got the
usual probem of hard steering. I've got 37's, trail gear hydro assist ram, stock power steering pump. My question is can i run my stock pump and get good results? Ive read forums with both answers.. Is there a modification i can do to the pump to make it work better? Ive bled the it numerous times, and no longer have foamy fluid or fluctuation in the level. Ive tried just driving it, no improvements. Just trying to weigh my options before i spend another $500 on an upgraded power steering system.

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
i just finished as SAS and added hydro assist. Ive read forum after forum trying to figure something out. Ive got the
usual probem of hard steering. I've got 37's, trail gear hydro assist ram, stock power steering pump. My question is can i run my stock pump and get good results? Ive read forums with both answers.. Is there a modification i can do to the pump to make it work better? Ive bled the it numerous times, and no longer have foamy fluid or fluctuation in the level. Ive tried just driving it, no improvements. Just trying to weigh my options before i spend another $500 on an upgraded power steering system.
I run a stock pump but I run 35" tires. I attempted to monkey with the stock pump but found the poppet valve swedged together making it difficult to do properly as you want to modify both the orifice for more flow and the spring rate for correct line pressure. One without the other made for an interesting driving experience so I settled for a stock pump which I found adequate for my rig with a 1.5" cylinder bore and 35" tires.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
no difference at all? perhaps something isn't hooked up right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no difference at all? perhaps something isn't hooked up right?

Everything is hooked up right. I've triple checked everything and all is good there. it's working, just not like it's suppose to. I opened up the orifice in the pump yesterday. it was a step in the right direction but now it whines like crazy. i guess a stock pump serving 2 components just doesn't have enough...i figured it would at least turn as easy as stock steering, but not so much..may just have to bite the bullet :(

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Everything is hooked up right. I've triple checked everything and all is good there. it's working, just not like it's suppose to. I opened up the orifice in the pump yesterday. it was a step in the right direction but now it whines like crazy. i guess a stock pump serving 2 components just doesn't have enough...i figured it would at least turn as easy as stock steering, but not so much..may just have to bite the bullet :(
when you bled the system did you purge the ram? On mine, whenever I have to change fluid, etc. I have to actually manually push/pull the piston in/out while listening for air bubbles inside. It is a major pita but the only way I've been able to completely get all the air out. It doesn't take much air to screw up the whole thing. And, If I don't do this I wind up with death wobble at around 50mph :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts