TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hydrogen stored in glass

well me and Jeff (don't know your screen name) were talking about this earler today thought you guy might be interested. here the link

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
With the price of gasoline rising above the $2 a gallon mark, the drive to find a safe and affordable alternative to gasoline is accelerating.
have they been living under a rock? I'd love to pay $2 a gallon.

·
Registered
533 Posts
sounds pretty cool other than hydrogen already takes up 4 times the volume of gas to produce the same energy. Add the extra weight and volume of the glass and it might take a tanker to go 300 miles per fill up!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
atwinda said:
I just filled up for $1.89 yesterday. Of course the fuel was 1.99 then with 0.10 off per gallon at Kroger fuel center it comes out to 1.89.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this artical is a little old thats why the price is a off
007 said:
sounds pretty cool other than hydrogen already takes up 4 times the volume of gas to produce the same energy. Add the extra weight and volume of the glass and it might take a tanker to go 300 miles per fill up!
4 times really where did you get that info? if you have any articals post them up. i'm intristed in alternative fuels. even if they're no practical it is still fun to hear what going on.

(here) is a short artical that might have an answer to make hydrogen more efficent.
btw this one is old too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If the hydrogen diffuses through the glass in reaction to light, I don't see that being too safe if it gets spilled on the roadway during a summer day. The article says that in the event of a spill it is much safer than gasoline.

·
Registered
195 Posts
007 said:
At 10,000 PSI I'm willing to bet the energy density of hydrogen is higher then that of gasoline by volume, and by weight hydrogen is many many times more dense a fuel.

Did the calculations, and was surprised to find that at 10,000 PSI hydrogen has 1/10 the volumetric energy density of gasoline. My apologies to 007.

·
Registered
606 Posts
STOMPER said:
I just filled up for $1.89 yesterday. Of course the fuel was 1.99 then with 0.10 off per gallon at Kroger fuel center it comes out to 1.89.

Filled up the other day for 1.81 with no discount.

·
Registered
195 Posts
(Flexion) said:
If the hydrogen diffuses through the glass in reaction to light, I don't see that being too safe if it gets spilled on the roadway during a summer day. The article says that in the event of a spill it is much safer than gasoline.
They said they're trying to determine which wavelength of light to use. I'm gessing this means they can choose nearly any wavelength they want, including high energy UV or x-ray, so that it won't leak in normal sunlight.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
007 said:
I think you might be confusing the energy hydrogen releases as heat when you burn it for the energy they are talking about.

These guys are going to apply the hydrogen to a fuel cell and produce electricity. I'm pretty sure there's a LOT less loss that way.

·
Registered
404 Posts
(Flexion) said:
"When a light is shined on the microspheres that have been “doped” (chemically treated) with an optical activator (something that reacts to light), the hydrogen is rapidly released."

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
atwinda said:

gas prices here have been below $2 a gallon, lol!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
elliot_irwin said:
thanks that's a good read. i still say future energy will be from fusion :rolleyes:

or all the burning dead bodies after the apocolypes....... LOL.... jk

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm not really that surprised, glass is extremely strong but quite brittle unlike most metals.

Anyhow on the topic of hydrogen, I read it yester in some magazine either Technical Review or Road and Track but it was about cutting the cost of hyrogen. Some 'potentially inexpensive' way to get hydrogen for cheaper was a at home H2 machine that plugs into a outlet, looked to be 210v. Looked to be a big-ass steel tank with a couplet hih pressure tanks above it and some other unknown components by me. Made it through electrolosys, about 1kg per hour. They said it would drop the 'present' (dont know what month it was but within last year) prices of hydrogen from the equivalent on 8 dollars a kg to 3 dollars a kg. What I'm confused is if they are talking about a unit of mass or the common 'european kg' haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
18 Participants
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing