TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up my new backup lights on friday. all was working well, until i installed the toyota fog light switch. i hooked it up and it worked, but the left light didn't. OK no problem, i was having problems with it before and i had more, so i replaced it. as i was replacing it, the positive cable of the light fell onto the frame and POP, it blew the fuse in front of the relay. no problem, i got more fuses. i put another fuse on, and again, POP. it blew it again. i looked to see wtf was up. i was getting pissed off. then i thought that it could have been one of the wires behind the switch, so i switched the two ground wires on the back of the switch to see what the difference was, and then i got the grey cloud of smoke.....:banghead: I finally just taped all the ends of the wires and said the hell with it, until tommrow when i go and mess up some more stuff. so i accomplished to blow up the new $10 toyota switch a couple wires, possibly the $7 relay, and a nice new burnt smell in my cab. so this is how i ended my wonderful day:mad: any ideas on were to start looking, do u think i need to redo all the wires cause i know i fried atleast two?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Sounds to me like you don't have a good ground at the lights. Each light needs to be grounded.

Here's a good safety tip for you too. You should disconnect your battery any time you're doing any electrical work with the truck. You'll be safe, you won't blow fuses, and you won't cause electrical problems elsewhere in the truck.

What kind of switch are you using? (i.e. 4-Pole, 3-Pole, ect)

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a 3 pole switch, so i think this is what happened, when i went to disconnect one of the lights to replace them with another, i left the switch on, and i accidentaly let the hot wire fall onto the frame for a couple seconds and poof. fuses blew and wires fried. nothing worked after that. so now my question is, how do i know if i blew my relay, switch, or fried some wires. if i fry those wires, do they need to be replaced?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Three poles or three terminals? In switch termonilogy a pole is the switch common contact (the moving contact) that makes and breaks connections with other circuits.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It's most likely a SPST with a ground for the indicator.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its the toyota switch with the light. part number was 005.. something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts