TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, well they probably aren't what you are thinking but I wanted to make a super budget front system.

Here's what I used

Tundra Bilstein 5100 pre-load asjustable Shocks - $130 shipped

2006 FJ 2wd coils - $35 shipped on ebay (these are easy to find as no one else wants the take offs so they are easy to get and cheap)

Here's what it ended up. A little over 1.5" of lift on the lowest notch (there are 4 settings for pre-load) and a pretty decent ride. ONLY drawback is the adjustability as you have to compress the springs to raise the lower snap ring mounting.

Anyway, thought I would share. Could be used with stock springs as well, mine just have 100k miles so I tried something different.

The shocks are about 1" longer so they may over extend (dont know how much extended Donahoes or other coilovers are for comparison) Also the FJ springs are shorter stock, as I wanted to lift without having to preload the spring at all, althogh just slightly to get in the top plate.

SO, flame it or love it, let me know what you think. I am big on Customtacos, but thought I'd share my findings with my hardcore dirt taco brotheren.

edit -SP

Attachments

·
Registered
587 Posts
Looks cool, but how do they ride? How was the install? Would you recommend the FJ coils or would you do something else? Pics of your truck would be cool too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe ride on the street is pretty good, but my stock shocks and springs were pretty shot I think. RIde is better than stock shock/spring with 1.5" daystar lift that had about 100k on them (25k on the lift)

They are stiff though and I am going to raise the perch 2 notches as I'm looking for 2"-2.5" (1 notch should be about .5"), After riding that for a little bit I'll decide if I need a softer spring.

Install was easy, I hate compressing springs manually though.....

I talked to Bilstein and they said the valving would be fine on a taco, I was worried it would be too stiff as it is for the tundra.

edit - Ill snap some pics tomorrow, didnt get a chance yet, just install pics

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
George4Dr said:
Ok, well they probably aren't what you are thinking but I wanted to make a super budget front system.

Here's what I used

Tundra Bilstein 5100 pre-load asjustable Shocks - $130 shipped

2006 FJ 2wd coils - $35 shipped on ebay (these are easy to find as no one else wants the take offs so they are easy to get and cheap)

Here's what it ended up. A little over 1.5" of lift on the lowest notch (there are 4 settings for pre-load) and a pretty decent ride. ONLY drawback is the adjustability as you have to compress the springs to raise the lower snap ring mounting.

Anyway, thought I would share. Could be used with stock springs as well, mine just have 100k miles so I tried something different.

The shocks are about 1" longer so they may over extend (dont know how much extended Donahoes or other coilovers are for comparison) Also the FJ springs are shorter stock, as I wanted to lift without having to preload the spring at all, althogh just slightly to get in the top plate.

SO, flame it or love it, let me know what you think. I am big on Customtacos, but thought I'd share my findings with my hardcore dirt taco botheren.
interesting. you are correct in that using longer shocks will overextend the OE geometry. your upper ball joints will bind at full droop and you'll run more of a chance of hyperextending a CV inner (really won't be a problem if you keep the sway bar on, however.

take notes on how it goes ;)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hell yeah man. If Hytenor says the sway bar will keep it in check thats probably right- hell for the money you saved limit straps would definately fit in the budget.

Using the FJs makes me wonder what the cost difference would be going with an Eibach or something with a more specific spring weight than just what the FJ's have...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Wes said:
Hell yeah man. If Hytenor says the sway bar will keep it in check thats probably right- hell for the money you saved limit straps would definately fit in the budget.

Using the FJs makes me wonder what the cost difference would be going with an Eibach or something with a more specific spring weight than just what the FJ's have...
I popped an inner out at Hollister one day...with OME shocks (1/2" longer) and the sb off. hit a berm I didn't see in a shadow...going way too fast...turned the wheel...got air, hit the brakes...came down (brakes still hit) :rolleyes: stooopid.... :cool:
that sb keeps everything from moving much ;)

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
I'd love to see some more info on this, i have OME 881s right now and would like to try something different. I think they have already started to sag, and it's only been about 5000 miles

·
Registered
444 Posts
gadzooks man! very very cool! i'm really interested in the long term data - please keep us posted in how it works out for you.

got a part # for those bilsteins?

~aloha~ and thanks for posting this up!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I definitely want to know how this works out for you. Might not be worth it if it will overextend the suspension and cause unnecessary damage or wear but if it improves ride over stock and is that cheap with good results I would be willing to give it a try. Pump out the stats and results on this one. More pics would be awesome, even though it is pretty simple I'm sure some would like a more in depth write up.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
head said:
I'd love to see some more info on this, i have OME 881s right now and would like to try something different. I think they have already started to sag, and it's only been about 5000 miles
they all sag. 881s are only rated for 1.5" of lift on the average v6 excab Taco...when fully settled. If you add weight like a heavy aftermarket bumper or winch then all bets are off ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
joel said:
Not bad, sounds like something anyone could do on a budget and still have a respectable ride after all is said and done. Like mentioned earlier, a set of limiting straps would round out the project and keep you from breaking your junk.

Later
Joel
Uniball uppers would take care of the upper ball joint binding that will occur with those longer shocks ;)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
As Hytenor stated, the SB will help keep it all in check, but a limit strap in addition to that will be cheap insurance. Just keep in mind that you have to factor in the stretch for the strap. Each style of strap has a stretch number, some are 1 inch per linear foot of strap, some are less, depending on the number of layers in the strap. Using a strap has another advantage to it, which is lowering the shock load in the coil over at full droop, which also extends the life of the components. Kartek in Anaheim Ca. has a large selection if limit straps and a very experienced staff that have a lot of desert racing and offroading experience under their belts. They can advise you accordingly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some more pics of the truck.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
hytenor said:
Uniball uppers would take care of the upper ball joint binding that will occur with those longer shocks ;)
That might take care of the upper ball joint, but it does nothing for the CV's. At an extra 1.5" of length over stock, I would be worried about dropping a tripod joint at full extension. Not to mention, limiting straps are cheap by comparison, which seems to be the main focus of this suspension package ;)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would like to see how they flex? If its not too much trouble see if you can get the bumpstops to touch or see how much space is between them when fully stuffed.

1-1.5 inches of lift is about what I am interested in. LOL kinda sad isn't it? :D

Wally

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
joel said:
That might take care of the upper ball joint, but it does nothing for the CV's. At an extra 1.5" of length over stock, I would be worried about dropping a tripod joint at full extension. Not to mention, limiting straps are cheap by comparison, which seems to be the main focus of this suspension package ;)
he stated an inch which would make them the same length as Donahoe's extended coilovers. He will need to either instal limit straps or Uniball uppers or will kill the OE upper bjs. Hyperextension of the tripod is possible with any longer shock but the possibility can be reduced by keeping the sway bar connected at all times. but yea, straps will be cheaper ;)

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
hytenor said:
he stated an inch which would make them the same length as Donahoe's extended coilovers. He will need to either instal limit straps or Uniball uppers or will kill the OE upper bjs. Hyperextension of the tripod is possible with any longer shock but the possibility can be reduced by keeping the sway bar connected at all times. but yea, straps will be cheaper ;)
Oh hell... your right, I thought I read that they were 1.5" longer. :rolleyes: I need to sleep more. Yeah, a set of control arms would work perfect and make for a rather inexpensive extra inch of travel aside from the cost of the arms. Good call....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
About this Discussion
45 Replies
19 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing