TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just thought of something cool today. I can design some sliders if you want or even a rear bumper. I'm and engineer so I can use I have Auto Cad and Inventor and Solid Works so design them pretty easy.. Just holla at me what you would like them to look like and I can work something out with you and take the prints to a shop or something and have them fab it for you or you can do it yourself.. Thought it would be fun for me to do too if nothing else haha.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,240 Posts
I think Ross might want your help. He also got the thread about 4 threads down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Hell, if you have the time I might get you to come up with a design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
If you guys get a rear bumper design, I would like to see it. I have yet to find one I like and/or can afford. I was planning on building my own, and would like to see new ideas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright well I'm screwing around just built some sliders but what kinda bumper are you looking at? wrap around? low profile? towing able? tube or solid? I can come up with some ideas if you give me a little specs on what you'd like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
Alright well I'm screwing around just built some sliders but what kinda bumper are you looking at? wrap around? low profile? towing able? tube or solid? I can come up with some ideas if you give me a little specs on what you'd like.

Hell man, thats the problem. I like the tube bumpers for the protection and light weight, but I like the looks of the plate style bumper. No towing (99 4cyl), just recovery spots. The key is I would like one that goes under the rear fenders, where its not really too visable. I dont like the huge wrap around stuff. I just like the clean look of stuff. It would be a bitch to design one with that pile of ass info! But if you do work some stuff up for others that acually have a better design in mind, I would love to see it. I have access to all the metal fab stuff I need, just do not know what I want to build yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah I'd just have to measure some things first.... I could make it like the length of the stock bumper (kinda like bent up's clean look bumper) with 2 recovery points but on the ends have something level with the rear fender, just inside and welded onto the frame or something.. kinda like the tube design but it would be right on the inside edge of the fender.. I could build you one now just the bolt on points would not be to specs nor would the actual length but it would be good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
Nah I'd just have to measure some things first.... I could make it like the length of the stock bumper (kinda like bent up's clean look bumper) with 2 recovery points but on the ends have something level with the rear fender, just inside and welded onto the frame or something.. kinda like the tube design but it would be right on the inside edge of the fender.. I could build you one now just the bolt on points would not be to specs nor would the actual length but it would be good.
Thats about what I was thinking. Just like that acually. Off of the ends, I would like something to go from the end of the bumper down the fender. Then from there, back toward the frame. I would then like it to bolt to the frame, so it can be removed. That would kick ass if you could get me a image of that before I try to build it. It will help the guy out that is helping me build it. I dont have to have anything to specs, I can get all that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
sorry it looks like this was done by a 1st grader, but its my basic idea. I would like to connect to the frame using the clamps that CBI has for the bolt on sliders at the fender protection points. Of course I have no clue what the downside would be to this, and plan to post in the fab folder before building to see if anyone can tell me why this would not work.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try this picture I'm not sure if I posted this screen shot of the bumper right nor not so i'm not sure if it'll work out for you guys to resize or not? never posted pics on ttora before. Anways the low left if the back view. if you were in the car behind it. Left is the side view and top is top view. Now this is not to scare but more or less what I could get it to look like.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can I post a big bicture Like that on here lol? I'm picture/computer Illerterate lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
bigbadyoda said:
How can I post a big bicture Like that on here lol? I'm picture/computer Illerterate lol

You got it up, but its just small. I am not sure when it comes to that. If its not photbucket, I have no idea. I know people know how, because when people do not search, the same guy posts up a huge screenshot of the rules on posting.. As you can see from my "paint" that I posted, I am not that great at computer stuff either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm going to try photobucket?? lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe that will work for you? Just measured up better but thats pretty close.. Maybe just your specific specs you want on there and all... But holla what you think I can change it or anything really.. just get me some numbers or what every thinkness you want it and I can make it exact..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
Thanks man, now I will just plug my numbers in and have something to work from. Its a lot better than my "paint" that I was having to use. I just printed it out. Gives me a better idea of what it will look like. Hell, post anything else to draft out. My wifes "female" cousin knows how to use this program. She just uses the demo version, but plans to buy it soon. She uses it to do blueprints off of. She is smart as hell, but said this is not an easy program to learn how to use. Thanks again. I might get you some more accurate numbers in the next week or so if thats ok. I will have to measure everything out and figure out what to use for the fender protection. I was thinking some 2X2, but not sure yet. I am going to the steel shop this weekend to see what I like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
jhunter said:
You got it up, but its just small.
Ha. Ha.

No disrespect intended for your computer skills, but anybody that needs you to draw a picture is unlikely to be able to follow a set of plans to spec and make this work.
Fab and tack is the only way to go for people that don't do this every day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
947 Posts
You kind of aiming that toward the wrong person. I have no clue how to draw up blueprints for a house, but I can follow them. As a matter of fact I am a property manager, and build 2-3 houses a year as well. Also building my 2nd house of my own starting in August. Again, I have no skill in drawing the blueprints. This is no different. I have someone helping me that works with metal. I am sure we can figure it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,244 Posts
jhunter said:
You kind of aiming that toward the wrong person. I have no clue how to draw up blueprints for a house, but I can follow them. As a matter of fact I am a property manager, and build 2-3 houses a year as well. Also building my 2nd house of my own starting in August. Again, I have no skill in drawing the blueprints. This is no different. I have someone helping me that works with metal. I am sure we can figure it out.
Thats fine, but a house can be a foot out of square and shit still works.
Get the bumper off a quarter and see what happens.
Fit and tack- thats experience talking, not a comment on either of your abilities.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top