TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two mild wheelin' trips this month, then im driving 800 miles roundtrip for a family reunion, i need every last penny, literally especially with gas!
so i have 59k miles on my hog, supposed to change it at 60k our wheelin trips arent gonna be too rough. so worse case scenario is the diff fluid is super dirty? its not gonna dry out and dissappear before i change it right? thanks for helpin out a newbie eh?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO, as long as your wheeling isn't hard core, you should be OK till you get back.:2cents:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You should be ok, but if you do any water crossing you need to change the fluids, check bearing etc. Have fun

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, peace.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you wheel it, 60K is way too long of a change interval IMO. I like to change differential fluid in all vehicles no more than every 30K.. usually less, and that's for ones that aren't wheeled. Might want to change yours out ever 20K or so or even a lot less than that if you ever go through deep water crossings.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you wheel it, 60K is way too long of a change interval IMO. I like to change differential fluid in all vehicles no more than every 30K.. usually less, and that's for ones that aren't wheeled. Might want to change yours out ever 20K or so or even a lot less than that if you ever go through deep water crossings.
x2 I change my stuff out once a year. Keeps stuff working right for a long time. But that wasn't his question. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
It is difficult to answer your question without knowing what your truck has been through for its 59-k mile life. The oil could have been trashed a long time ago if it got water in it. Or the oil could be ok if the truck was pampered over the 59-k miles.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
If you have done the diff breather extension and your sels are fine, don't worry about water crossings...

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
...Or the oil could be ok if the truck was pampered over the 59-k miles.
That might be more true for subsequent oil changes, but the first oil in there tends to get more grubby than later changes.

Offroadcoma, the oil is not going to suddenly disappear or anything, but just expect it to be dirty coming out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts