TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the latest project for my Taco. As some of you may know the transfer case on Tacos sticks out like a sore thumb. There are no plans in the future for a SAS and 35's so I've been trying to beef her up in the meantime while running my 32's. I threw alot of ideas around until settling for this one. Most of the skids I have seen tie into the passenger frame rail but I'm going with something a little different. Time will tell how it wheels. Even with the two mounts it's pretty freakin stout so I'm confident it'll hold. I currently have the third mounting point bolted directly to the transfer-case in two stock locations. Material is 3/16. I'll try to get more pics downloaded tomorrow as I am getting close to paint and bolt-up. Just some minor welding and grinding to go.
Here's the stock t-case skid.

Starting out with the cross-member mount and bottom plate.

After a day of angles and figuring out what I wanted.

Here she is mounted without the frame mount

Got the side mount configured - similar to the crossmember.

After adding more metal and getting ready for final welding. I probably should have kept the side to one piece but I buid 'em as I go so the design just kept morphing. It's all about the weld-prep.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Look really good! Good job!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I like the actual skid, but the plate style mounts to the frame are gonna flex like crazy. Why not mount it directly to the T-case and forego the other mounts. Other than that it looks bitchin! Nice work.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I like the actual skid, but the plate style mounts to the frame are gonna flex like crazy. Why not mount it directly to the T-case and forego the other mounts. Other than that it looks bitchin! Nice work.
Because the t-case is aluminum and the skid is steal... if you hit it HARD, which do you think will give it up? ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think flex will be a problem. 3/16" is pretty beefy and when fully welded it won't be moving. One reason to mount outside the t-case is the simple fact of beefier mounting points - not the 12mm OEM mounting holes. Spreading the impact load is another reason.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got some more pics downloaded
Here's some pics of the crossmember mount and the frame-rail mount

Side profile - early in the process.

Got the majority of the metal in place and welded. You can also see the mount that goes to the transfer-case.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Looks like it will take a licking and keep on ticken.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Good freaking job!!!

Have you considered adding some gusset to the drivers side horizontal flat section to the drives slide vertical slant section? You have plenty of room and I think it would help add lots of strength.

Seeing the pics makes me want to go out to the garage and forget about work. :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Good freaking job!!!

Have you considered adding some gusset to the drivers side horizontal flat section to the drives slide vertical slant section? You have plenty of room and I think it would help add lots of strength.
x2, I was thinking the same thing until i got to this post. It would add and exponential amount of strength, and little space required.

BTW, great job!!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looks good, nice work. 3/8s is plenty strong enough.

Some thoughts that came to my mind.

The frame is now the weak spot, the brackets are strong, the skid is strong but with a single attachment AND .120sh (1/8) wall mild steel frame, if you get hung up on that skid and try to back up or drive foreward pushing on the skid the brackets would rip out before they or the skid would fail. Paying attention to what your hung up on will prevent this from occuring.

Having it attached one side causes the weight of the vehicle to act as a lever against the skid. Thus when the skid starts sliding over a rock, its going to move up and touch the bottom of the transfercase. Might want consider a 1/4-3/8s thick piece of rubber and glue it to the top of the skid where it would touch transfercase. The rubber will act as a small shock absorber, spread out the energy transfer both latterally and the up and down.

Good job on getting out there and making your own stuff.

Wally

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
x2, I was thinking the same thing until i got to this post. It would add and exponential amount of strength, and little space required.

BTW, great job!!!
An exponential amount of strength? LOL

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you considered adding some gusset to the drivers side horizontal flat section to the drives slide vertical slant section?
Do you mean below the angle? Photoshop your thoughts.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Might want consider a 1/4-3/8s thick piece of rubber and glue it to the top of the skid where it would touch transfercase. The rubber will act as a small shock absorber, spread out the energy transfer both latterally and the up and down.
My thoughts exactly. I am planning to transfer the OEM rubber from the stock t-case skid to the new one. That's what the sharpie square is for - I think it's in one of the shots.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Got off early from work today so hopefully I'll finish the fabwork and be ready for paint.

·
Registered
597 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hard to tell from the mounting pics, but I have one in the middle. If it's not enough, I'll add more in the future.

Here you go:

Adding a gusset here would defeat the ground clearance I'm looking to achieve. We'll see how she holds up after a beating and go from there.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts