TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I figured I would try my hand at a skid plate for the gas tank and here's the result. I gotta thank Brad for the inspiration. It's 3/16" and weighs in at a hefty 30 lbs. My only concern at this point is the rear OEM mounts that I retained. They are only 12 mm and I'm concerned about the load on them. I could always fab an additional mount for the rear at a later date. I did replace the forward 12 mm with 14 mm Grade 8 hardware. I did use the medium stength Loctite for all bolts. Always a learning experience and when I do my wife's ('95 Runner) there's some changes I will make. My next skid for the Taco will be for the transfer case. Stay tuned. Any criticism would be helpful.

In this shot you can see the two Grade 8 bolts that replaced the stock 12mm ones.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
nice!!! i dont think people here know Brad though;), I was most impressed with the brackets he built. Looks like your fab is really coming along! one of these days we'll have to wheel.
Mike

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
looks really good, gives me some big ideas

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
miguelitro said:
nice!!! i dont think people here know Brad though;), I was most impressed with the brackets he built. Looks like your fab is really coming along! one of these days we'll have to wheel.
Mike
Yeah - I was pissed I missed the In Ko Pah trip. Next time........

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
looks good man! You'll keep your 18 gal tank.... I wish i still had one. ;) my taco has a ~17 gal tank b/c of the dents.

You'll be fine with the stock mounting locations esp with new bolts.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
miguelitro said:
Mike
I'm a Brad, but I'm not that Brad! I guess I'll have to go with another 'B'. Budbuilt. I just don't have those resources you have. That shit looks awsome! I can only wish. Great job.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
similar to what I did but you might want to add to the front.

I only covered about 3/4 of the length of the tank after watching where I was taking hits ;) The leading edge gets the most pressure so I beefed that up the most.

bottom and leading edge is 3/16" and the sides are 1/8" welded and riveted.

your color looks cooler ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts