TTORA Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy for Yogi! Death Wobble is dead! I needed to tighten my wheel bearings once I got home but the shackles being a little loose seemed to fix most of the issue. Thanks Ron!

Oh, and by the way, I knew the shackles were loose. I just wanted to let peeps know cause otherwise I seem like a little girl who can't keep her bolts tightened on her truck. I saw they were a bit loose on Friday but my tools were locked up at a friend's house who was out of town. Just wanted to clear that up. :rolleyes: Yeah, it was pretty embarrassing to have to get Ron to crank those down for me.

Anyway, so problem solved. Time to wheel!

Oh, and Ron...we're tearing apart two Toyota axles soon so I'll let you know when and you can come on over. But for the record, Toyota solid axles have no ball joints, I'm pretty sure.

--Megan

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I see that.... I looked at some diagrams and they seem to have some upper and lower bearing sunder the lower cap and the upper steering arm. Preload is set on the bearings when you tighten the cap and steering arm down. So those could be a cause of the wobble if they are worn, or like you said it could be the wheel bearings.

You said that your axle had new axle seals. But are the bearing oil seals new also? Those could be bad causing that leak from your knuckle. Anyway... glad that I could help.

Yogi

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
yogiaz said:
Preload is set on the bearings when you tighten the cap and steering arm down.
The preload is actually set by the thin metal shims that go under the lower bearing cap and the steering arm. Oh course if either is loose though there won't be enough preload and that is how steering arm studs break.

If you have up/down play on the tire it's either the knuckle bearings or the wheel bearings, most likely it's wheel bearings though. If the knuckle bearings are loose and the steering arms and lower bearing cap are tight then you probably need new knuckle (aka trunion :confused: ) bearings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Weston - Clarify This Stuff!

Hey Wes! Get your butt on this post so I know what these gear heads are talking about! :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Cool... I did not know about the shims.... but it makes sense. I was just looking at somebodys write up on how to change out the bearings. He never mentioned shims. It all seems pretty straight forward. But from the pics, and from what I Have heard others say... its a messy job. Im glad that I dont have to deal with them!!! :)

Yogi

91toyota4x4 said:
The preload is actually set by the thin metal shims that go under the lower bearing cap and the steering arm. Oh course if either is loose though there won't be enough preload and that is how steering arm studs break.

If you have up/down play on the tire it's either the knuckle bearings or the wheel bearings, most likely it's wheel bearings though. If the knuckle bearings are loose and the steering arms and lower bearing cap are tight then you probably need new knuckle (aka trunion :confused: ) bearings.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm glad it got bumped, I got a bad case of the DW right now :( out of no where it seemed. All i did was air up my tires and now BAM! I hit a bump and the truck wants to shake out from under me.

So I've since gotten an alignment. rotated the tires, tire pressure is at 30 still same game.

Now this is alignment is the first in 2.5 years since the original swap.. haha i think I've officially gained the spot for longest time to swap a truck :)

its always had a small issue with the alignment, it was never right but it wasn't bad enough to get an alignment now I swear I feel like I wanna light it on fire and walk away.

oh yeah hey guys whats up? long time no talk haha

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Brandon........ the easiest thing to do is tweak the toe....... mine isn't happy unless it's at zero. A degree or 2 either way before I added hydro assist and it wanted to go milkshake. Also crawl under it and have the little women steer it back and fourth to be sure something isn't loose that the alignment shop might have missed (like the pitman arm or steering arm) if you can't narrow it down on your own, you can wobble it over to this side of town and I can try to help you diagnose it. :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Brandon........ the easiest thing to do is tweak the toe....... mine isn't happy unless it's at zero. A degree or 2 either way before I added hydro assist and it wanted to go milkshake. Also crawl under it and have the little women steer it back and fourth to be sure something isn't loose that the alignment shop might have missed (like the pitman arm or steering arm) if you can't narrow it down on your own, you can wobble it over to this side of town and I can try to help you diagnose it. :D
Thanks Eric, i might take you up on that. I really think a big part of it now is the tires. Originally it was probably the toe now that the tires are about shot i dont think they are helping the situation. As long as i can go 50+ everywhere then its all good haha

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
Thanks Eric, i might take you up on that. I really think a big part of it now is the tires. Originally it was probably the toe now that the tires are about shot i dont think they are helping the situation. As long as i can go 50+ everywhere then its all good haha
Yeah, a bad tire will overshadow things a bit :D........ but they had to have had an underlying issue to go bad to begin with. ;)

Give me a shout and we'll see if we can't figure something out....... I have a few ideas what it might be...... just need to lay eyes on it to see if I'm right. How old are the balljoints? :D

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
Who are you?

Don't worry about the dw, it's just the roads on your side of town. Think of dw as your truck having some character. If you need help, I can bring the matches over to Eric's.

Oh yeah, who are you?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
12 Participants
az250r
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing