TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had... what a great way to start a morning, driving in traffic on way into work cruising all of a sudden I feel a huge loss of power and my check engine light starts flashing on my dash. I get over and get off on the next off ramp with the truck badly shaking. Pull over check under the hood, nothing I can physically see, start it back up and hear a loud knocking coming from the drivers side rear cyl (6). Have it towed to my mechanic. After being hour late to work I finally get called by him and he gives me the good news.
Apparently I have a lot of carbon built up in my combustion chamber and a large piece broke off and was rattling around in the chamber, the cyl was misfiring and piston smacking the carbon into the head. After pulling the spark plug and running it without it in he thinks the carbon piece came out and its running fine now...
Hmm sounds right I've just never heard of carbon breaking off and causing misfire like that... any inputs?
I guess I also gotta clean out the carbon, should I try the seafoam method or just old school with water?

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Using water to steam clean the carbon deposits is a known and documented procedure. This procedure is not without risks.

Using cleaning agents like Seafoam, BG 44k (if put in gas tank) or BG ISC (if pulled in through intake) would be a better and safer option. I'd recommend the BG intake cleaner 3pack.

·
Registered
616 Posts
BG makes great products. This is a good example as to why doing an induction/injection service is in fact a good idea. I know lots of people who don't think it is necessary. Sea foam works as well, but I would go the bg route.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I think I will go with BG we used to in my old shop.
Anyways got my truck back. My mechanic said that when he started it with #6 plug out he saw something fly out of the hole. Then he inspected the plug and inside the cylinder chamber and says the plug had carbon on it and on the end of the diode saw marks and on the top of the cyl saw marks where something was rattling around inside there smacking it. He said carbon deposits are like rocks how hard they are but luckily they don't normally damage anything. He put it all back together an drove it and ran fine. I got it back ($110) and it runs fine however it has a very faint sound almost an air leaking sound like not quite exhaust leak but similar only on a single cylinder... but runs fine

All this bs the month after its paid off... so it begins... lol also have 109k miles on it

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mechanic said that carbon doing that is not unheard of but is very rare.. he said the last car he had do that to him was about 15 years ago

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought a few things today. Got a bottle of SeaFoam. A bottle of duralube fuel system treatment. And a bottle of Gunk motor flush. However after reading reviews I don't think I will be using the gunk flush...
The seafoam will be tomorrow (not sure if doing it in my apartment complex is smart) then sometime after couple weeks will run the duralube in my tank. As for the seafoam I'm thinking rather than 1/3 oil 1/3 fuel 1/3 intake, thinking 50/50 fuel and intake since I run full synthetic in it already and don't think at 110k miles I want any problems like I read about with the motor flush stuff happening (sludge building up on oil collector clogging it)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is some crazy ass shit!!!! I bet you shat your pants when that thing started knocking. I hope that fixes it.
Pretty much... sucked was late to work had to pay for tow and had to pay for luckily not expensive repair...
After seafoaming my truck, I'm very surprised that it worked well! Made my truck run so smooth! I would suggest it to anyone at any time even newer cars with 10k+ miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts