TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Does anybody have a pic of what this spacer looks like?
2. Will it provide more down travel than the extended Donahoes?
3. What makes the extended Donahoes "extended"? Is it a spacer?
4. Does anybody have pics to compare the 2 side by side so as that I can tell which one is longer?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
4. Does anybody have pics to compare the 2 side by side so as that I can tell which one is longer?
interesting
I'm assuming this is only for the 05+ Tacos.
my only concern would be with the upper ball joints and that fact that too much droop from the longer shocks can overextend an axle.
Long-travel kits come with longer axles and Uniballs for a very good reason ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Well if you have a 2wd with aftermarket control arms you don't have to worry about over extending anything.
yep, prerunners only need apply ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
so apparently it's ok to used top plate spacers with coilovers now? if that's the case then that would be awesome. You wouldn't need to crank down the the coilover so much for lift and the ride would be softer. I had to crank the driver side c/o 8 more turns than the passenger side to level it out. Now it rides funny because the driver side is stiff and the passenger side is soft

everyone always said how using a spacer will destroy the coilover but I don't really see how. The only thing I can think of is the spacer would increase the down travel so the c/o will bottom out before the LCA hits the bumpstop. :confused:

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
garycoleman said:
so apparently it's ok to used top plate spacers with coilovers now? if that's the case then that would be awesome. You wouldn't need to crank down the the coilover so much for lift and the ride would be softer. I had to crank the driver side c/o 8 more turns than the passenger side to level it out. Now it rides funny because the driver side is stiff and the passenger side is soft

everyone always said how using a spacer will destroy the coilover but I don't really see how. The only thing I can think of is the spacer would increase the down travel so the c/o will bottom out before the LCA hits the bumpstop. :confused:
Im sure other people can give you better insight, but im pretty sure Dhoe, SAW, Burg warn against using any other susp system in conjuction with theirs (most likely for safety purposes!)...the only people i know who stack lifts are Hawaiians. :2cents: good luck

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
SinCityTaco said:
Why don't you simply call them instead?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
garycoleman said:

the Tacoma suspension geometry is what it is and you cannot just 'add' things and expect it to continue working. Aftermarket suspension systems suck as SAWs or Donahoes are designed to maintain the proper geometry. That is why they say do not add spacers to their products, not that doing so will harm the shocks. Nothing will happen to the shocks with an added spacer on top but many bad things will happen to other OE components ;) ball joints and CVs will be the main victims.

This subject has been beaten to death in the last 5yrs here, people have tried all sorts of wacky things only to find out the hard way that they don't work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
marnes2986 said:
Im sure other people can give you better insight, but im pretty sure Dhoe, SAW, Burg warn against using any other susp system in conjuction with theirs (most likely for safety purposes!)...the only people i know who stack lifts are Hawaiians. :2cents: good luck

Oh please :rolleyes: When a Florida truck comes on this board posting their 6" T/M lift with coilovers and body lift Nobody says anything, but when its from Hawaii it's like time to open your mouth. As for the top plate spacers, I have the thin ones from toytec (1/4 of an inch in thickness) on my saws with no ill problems so far. I have no control arm issues becasue I have the 2.0 versions and I am getting about 2.75 - 3 inches of lift in the front total. As for the new version of the toytec spacers that are almost a 1/2 inch thick I cant say anything about it because I have only installed it in conjuction with the spacer lift kit on a 05 tacoma and 05 tundra. Just by looking I think if you use the thicker spacer on the aftermarket coilovers you may come into some problems with the upper control arms. I am not saying that if you do use a very thin spacer on your coilovers its fine I'm just saying that its working for me so far.

Alohas
Jeff

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Con3boy808 said:
Oh please :rolleyes: When a Florida truck comes on this board posting their 6" T/M lift with coilovers and body lift Nobody says anything, but when its from Hawaii it's like time to open your mouth. As for the top plate spacers, I have the thin ones from toytec (1/4 of an inch in thickness) on my saws with no ill problems so far. I have no control arm issues becasue I have the 2.0 versions and I am getting about 2.75 - 3 inches of lift in the front total. As for the new version of the toytec spacers that are almost a 1/2 inch thick I cant say anything about it because I have only installed it in conjuction with the spacer lift kit on a 05 tacoma and 05 tundra. Just by looking I think if you use the thicker spacer on the aftermarket coilovers you may come into some problems with the upper control arms. I am not saying that if you do use a very thin spacer on your coilovers its fine I'm just saying that its working for me so far.

Alohas
Jeff
the phrase that really sticks out here is "so far"

good luck

·
Registered
276 Posts
hytenor said:
the phrase that really sticks out here is "so far"

good luck

Well the thing is that I drive the truck less than 20 miles a week. Its just my weekend ride to go fishing or diving, and of course hitting the trails to and from where ever.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
valkyrie said:
Why don't you simply call them instead?
Cuz getting info from people who may or may not know what they're talking about is way riskier. And any good gambler knows the greater the risks, the greater the rewards. Duh! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts