TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, we are looking for a painter. I need someone with 5-10 years experience with prep, paint, and finishing, preferably in the autobody industry. My painter has been diagnosed with cancer and will probably be out for a few months for treatment.

The company is Scion Aviation, in Fort Collins / Loveland. We design and build prototype aircraft and advanced composite structures. The position that we need to fill is responsible for:

- Sanding, painting, and finishing of masters and composite tools.
- Trimming and assembly of composite parts.
- Prime and Paint flight hardware.

Basically the position involves sanding and polishing. Experience with Vinyl Ester primers a plus. Pay will be based on experience.

Anyone that is interested PM me. We need help ASAP. We have 2 aircraft to get in the air by the end of July.

Also, since we are in the aerospace / aviation industry, anyone who applies must be able to pass a background check and drug screen.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
OTOH two guys immediately come to mind. Nate is in Brighton (00regcab), and Ben is in Aurora (extremepaint). I'd trust either one to do paint and/or body work on damn near anything. Shoot those guys a PM, not sure of their situations and don't want to speak for them, but if you're looking for talent, I think of those two.

There may be others, just I happen to know those guys fairly well.

-Sean

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
thanks for the recomendation sean, but honestly nate would be a better pick than me.. he's got way more time with a clear gun and a buffer. graphics and paint design alonmg with all prep sanding bondo and repair work i can do.... i just suck at getting the final shine... im sure i could get ALOT better with a months worth of practice. and honestly id love to paint prototype aircraft! how ever i have to be humbled and say there are better people for the job that need it more than id do...

if you want graphics airbrushing color design and product recognition then u should hire me right now! lol

i do have 10-13 years paint experiance but i've never sprayed too much clear and i've burned through a couple paint jobs with the buffer! lol

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Sean, while I'm confident in my work, and have work to show what I'm capable of; I do not meet the requirments he is looking for (5-10 years). I've only been in the trade for about 3.

If this isn't an issue I may very well be interested in seeing where it goes, and getting more details on the job.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nate,

I don't know if you remember, but I briefly talked to you about this a few weeks ago after the Kelly Flats run. 3 years experience is probably more than enough, 5-10 was a start point.

This position requires more painting on masters than actual aircraft. For every composite part we build, there could be anywhere from 1-6 tools needed to create these parts. Most of our prototype tools are built out of a modified version of MDF. We then machine it to final shape of the 5-axis mill. Tools then have to be lightly sanded and painted (to remove the .001" scallop left by the mill). We paint all our tools with a vinyl ester sand and fill primer (Duratec). Most tools then get blocked and coated with a second coat. Once the second coat has been baked off, we color sand and polish the tool surface. nothing we do really requires what I would consider a "class A" automotive finish. Almost all of our parts are sanded and primed after they come out of the tool.

If anyone is interested (Nate or Extremepaint) shot me PM with a phone number and can give you a call and have you come by and see our shop.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Yep, I remember talking about it a little bit, not too much though. I'll keep you updated, and will get back to you within the week. Kind of between a rock and a hard place right now. New job opportunity I've been dying for, but a truck I still need to get finished while I have access to the tools I need to do it. I'll weigh the pros/cons and get back to you.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds Good. You should at least come by for a tour and check out our shop. Our shop is top notch (ask Jay, avsfreak) and might make the decision a little easier :D.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
No doubt about a nice shop, the one I work at now is also very well maintained, and very clean. It's the only body shop I've ever personally seen with white walls/floors, etc. that are still WHITE, and clean.

I'd love to get up there sometime, would have to be on a weekend or after 6pm during the week.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like we have found someone. My painter ended up going into surgery today, and he thinks it will only be a 1 to 2 week recovery, originally we thought he might be gone for a few months and then only returning on a part time basis). I decided to hire a temp for the next month, hoping that my painter makes a full recovery. I would hate for one of you guys to quit your job or relocate up here since we are kind of in limbo right now. If he does not, we will look into hiring someone full time in the fall. I will keep you guys posted and thanks for offering to help out.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
hey scott, keep me in the loop about those planes. i would love to try and come up and watch, help with, or be involved with something like that. that would be fun to see if nothing else.

and I can definately vouch for the shop. they have top notch equipment up there and its a nice location for what they do.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey scott, keep me in the loop about those planes. i would love to try and come up and watch, help with, or be involved with something like that. that would be fun to see if nothing else.

and I can definately vouch for the shop. they have top notch equipment up there and its a nice location for what they do.
You will have to come check out the Furio when it is done. We were hoping to fly it to osh kosh, but I don't think that will happen. The furio is an all composite acrobatic plane built down in New Zealand. We are going to become the US distributor.

http://www.falcomposite.com/

We are building kit #5, but ours will be the second one in the air.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Well it looks like we have found someone. My painter ended up going into surgery today, and he thinks it will only be a 1 to 2 week recovery, originally we thought he might be gone for a few months and then only returning on a part time basis). I decided to hire a temp for the next month, hoping that my painter makes a full recovery. I would hate for one of you guys to quit your job or relocate up here since we are kind of in limbo right now. If he does not, we will look into hiring someone full time in the fall. I will keep you guys posted and thanks for offering to help out.
Keep me posted! The fall would be a much better time for me to get into a new job, as well as relocate.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
you dont by any chance think you could let somebody fly it in a contest in august? :D if not ill just take the super decathlon lol. i would really love to see that before its done and once its flying.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
glad to here you have a helper and your guy wil be back on his feet! if you need someone to come up on the weekend and throw some wicked, bad assed, radically awsome, supper happy, ubernistic airbrushing on the panels id be happy to!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts