TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading alot about the Deaver 7-leaf leaf pack set for Tacoma. my questions are:

1. are they worth the hefty $500 + shipping price?
2. how much softer are they compared to stock leafs?
3. do the Doetsch Tech MV shocks compliment the Deaver well, or should i stay with Bilstein?
4. are there any alternatives to the Deaver pack?

thanks in advance.

·
225 Posts
cvajs said:
i've been reading alot about the Deaver 7-leaf leaf pack set for Tacoma. my questions are:

3. do the Doetsch Tech MV shocks compliment the Deaver well, or should i stay with Bilstein?

thanks in advance.
1. More then worth it
2. at ride hight they are a ton softer.. then they get hard as the suspension travels. the ride quality is day and night.
3. Dotsch tech is a step down from Bilstien
4. Not in my opinion.
Deaver spring 714-542-3703 ask for Scott tell him Kreg Donahoe sent you and ask him anything... they have great customer service.

hope that helps

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cvajs said:

thanks in advance.
Donahoe said:
1. More then worth it
2. at ride hight they are a ton softer.. then they get hard as the suspension travels. the ride quality is day and night.
4. Not in my opinion.
Deaver spring 714-542-3703 ask for Scott tell him Kreg Donahoe sent you and ask him anything... they have great customer service.

hope that helps
you have a slight bias for Deaver? as for #3, the DT MV shocks have some pretty good specs, seem a tad beefier on their build, why are they a notch below Bilstein?

seems that 5100's are nowhere to be found. anyone running 6100 equivalent 8" travel shocks? the B46-0349 looks good for one side, but what about the other side that requires +1" on the oem mounts?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
You are gonna be happy as a pig in shit with the deaver pack. I have them on my taco, and they are so much better than stock... I have them on my old chevy race truck, and they were awesome. You will probably be pretty happy with the doetsh tech shocks. Not as good as bilstien 5100's, but then again, I am going down to santee tomorrow to dispute a bilstien that failed after less than 3 months. At least they said bring it down, so they can make a judgement on any warranty.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Donahoe said:
1. More then worth it
4. Not in my opinion.

hope that helps
There are alternatives to Deaver such as Alcan. I have them and they're awesome. Probably stiffer than Deaver from what I've heard but I don't like a mushy spring. When I put a load in the back, I won't be dragging my ass on the pavement behind me. Same price tag though as Deaver with the shipping anyway. $210 each plus shipping was $520 for me in CT.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's quite a bit less expensive than the Deaver if looking at a 8, 9 or 10 leaf version of there product.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Tufemup said:
There are alternatives to Deaver such as Alcan. I have them and they're awesome. Probably stiffer than Deaver from what I've heard but I don't like a mushy spring. When I put a load in the back, I won't be dragging my ass on the pavement behind me. Same price tag though as Deaver with the shipping anyway. $210 each plus shipping was $520 for me in CT.
where can i buy and/or get info on the Alcan springs. i would now like to compare them to the Deaver springs.

i'm dont want mush either for my rear. i'm after a 2" lift with something softer than the oem crud i have now. i'm probably relocate my shock mounts and get a set of 10" 5150's.

i made a mistake early on looking for a quick 2" lift and bought the Downey AAL (not the pre-runner short leaf, the other one). i found out that it will be way too stiff for what i want so i never mounted it. i guess it's great for someone who hauls or tows since it gives 500lb extra load.

Deaver to my door is $580 from DeMello in CA.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
cvajs said:
where can i buy and/or get info on the Alcan springs. i would now like to compare them to the Deaver springs. i'm dont want mush either for my rear. i'm after a 2" lift with something softer than the oem crud i have now. i'm probably relocate my shock mounts and get a set of 9" 5150's. i made a mistake early on looking for a quick 2" lift and bought the Downey AAL (not the pre-runner short leaf, the other one). i found out that it will be way too stiff for what i want so i never mounted it. i guess it's great for someone who hauls or tows since it gives 500lb extra load. Deaver to my door is $580 from DeMello in CA.
With what you say you're wanting from your leafs (lift-wise, ride-wise), you may want to look into this option. Worth a look anyway.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
synovus said:
With what you say you're wanting from your leafs (lift-wise, ride-wise), you may want to look into this option. Worth a look anyway.
awesome, thanks for the link :)

that build did not include lift. will it suffice to add some very short pieces to the bottom of the pack to get the lift i want?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
cvajs said:
that build did not include lift. will it suffice to add some very short pieces to the bottom of the pack to get the lift i want?
I think he gained some lift, but maybe not. He had a fabtech AAL in there before, which he used in the rebuilding, but he cut some off the ends of it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in. Or you could always PM him to see what he would suggest. His member name is "atwinda". I would think that simply adding more leaves (tapering them in length of couse, as described in the write-up) would give you lift, and retain most of the ride benefits.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts

Absolutely. If I hadda do it again, I'd give em even more money and get the 8 or 9 leaf pack. Gazillion percent improvement over stock. A tad bit soft (for my liking/daily on-road driving) w/ empty bed, but *plush* w/ a couple of ppl or a bunch of gear -- but you get used to it... in a good way.

Noticably less harsh/much smoother. I believe you lose some load capacity because they are "softer". They feel way more stable than the stock springs even though they are more flexy.

I have no experience with DT... but my 4runner had Bilstein HD's and I swear by 'em. My buddy (a QC engineer @ NUMMI -- where they build the Tacos) recommended Bil's for my 4runner, and I've never looked back. My dcab is runnin 5100's and I love em.

Alcan is the only one that comes to mind.

just chimin' in
-r

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
synovus said:
I think he gained some lift, but maybe not. He had a fabtech AAL in there before, which he used in the rebuilding, but he cut some off the ends of it. Maybe he'll see this thread and chime in. Or you could always PM him to see what he would suggest. His member name is "atwinda". I would think that simply adding more leaves (tapering them in length of couse, as described in the write-up) would give you lift, and retain most of the ride benefits.
After all was said and done, 4" of lift. 3" would probably be the result without the cut down fabtech AAL. The pack rides great, and I would do it all over again !

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
atwinda said:
After all was said and done, 4" of lift. 3" would probably be the result without the cut down fabtech AAL. The pack rides great, and I would do it all over again !
in your write-up you wrote:
"With the two springs from the stock pack, and the cut down aal, it sits just the way it did before, perhaps just a hair higher."

i took this as being a "no-lift" before&after (you may have had lift over stock prior to modification?). can you expand on what you mean by this?

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another vote for deavers. I love mine. I have the 9 pack for a little more load handling, and I have carried gravel and even an entire metal building in it without problems. It is a bit more than a 2" lift though, but a campershell brings it down so it's about right.

Bilsteins are effing great shocks, but their customer service sucks. I've been waiting 3 months for mine. The short bodies are great for fitting a lot of travel without too much lift.

I've been driving for 3 months with no rear shocks, which sucks, but the deavers are actually making the ride tolerable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts