TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I replaced the front brake pads on my 03 prerunner and on the driver side i took the 4 bolts out of the caliper that pinch it together instead of the 2 main bolts that hold the caliper on the spindle and some fluid came out so i snugged the four bolts back up and procided with the 2 bigger ones and the pad replacement on both sides.
Ok knowing that i lost some fluid on the driver side only i blead the breaks but when i had my buddy pump the break peadle i turned the little nipple to release the pressure and all that came out was a blast of air and it did this a couple of times with a few drops of fluid that came out also. Now there is hardly any pressure in the brake pedal at all and it doesnt stop for shit.
is there more than one bleed nipple on the brakes?
Also my resivor is full what the hell do i do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
are you bleeding the brakes properly? you need to have him pump up the brakes....hold them down with his foot, open the bleeder screw... while he keeps his foot on the breaks, then close the bleeder screw.. . now he can release his foot and start to pump them up again.

then repeat, but if you take the foot off the brake while the screw is open it will just suck air..

Austin

joerunner said:
:confused:
I replaced the front brake pads on my 03 prerunner and on the driver side i took the 4 bolts out of the caliper that pinch it together instead of the 2 main bolts that hold the caliper on the spindle and some fluid came out so i snugged the four bolts back up and procided with the 2 bigger ones and the pad replacement on both sides.
Ok knowing that i lost some fluid on the driver side only i blead the breaks but when i had my buddy pump the break peadle i turned the little nipple to release the pressure and all that came out was a blast of air and it did this a couple of times with a few drops of fluid that came out also. Now there is hardly any pressure in the brake pedal at all and it doesnt stop for shit.
is there more than one bleed nipple on the brakes?
Also my resivor is full what the hell do i do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,934 Posts
Get the system bled by someone who knows whats going on. Have them adjust the rear brakes first. Get yourself a good power bleeder for future use like the Motive Systems unit. They are not too costly and well worth the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i blead the brakes with the truck started and fluid came out this time with a ton of air but i got it all out and it is fine now. Damn that one had me worried. thanks for the help though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
518 Posts
TacomaNova said:
if you take the foot off the brake while the screw is open it will just suck air..
x2- this is a biggie
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,173 Posts
I would still take the truck in to a brake shop and have them do a "once over" on it. Unless you get all the air out of the system, it will show up at the least opportune time!

Brakes are not something you want to mess with if you are not 100% certain you know what you are doing!

you are not just playing "craps" with your life but also with the lives of your loved one as well as complete strangers!
 

·
TTORA SoCal
Joined
·
1,976 Posts
joerunner said:
i have changed brakes on all of my cars and truck never killed my self or any one else
then surely you should have known how to bleed brakes then right? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,124 Posts
rubberpants said:
then surely you should have known how to bleed brakes then right? :rolleyes:
you'd think so huh :dunno:
 

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
Joined
·
18,439 Posts
Since you removed the 4 screws on the caliper assembly, you might have broken that seal and rendered that caliper useless since it can't hold pressure. That might account for both the poor braking and soft pedal. I'd replace the caliper, bleed the brakes again, then see if that fixes the problem.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top