TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 4x4 V6 SR5, TRD, etc. with 115k miles. I have noticed a loss of braking power over the last year. Now, it doesn't even feel like I have power brakes. I can't get them to come close to locking up; or even kick in the ABS no matter how hard and fast I smash the pedal. I replaced the front pads a while back, and they still have plenty of meat on them. I just got done replacing the master cylinder and replacing the fluid with DOT 4. I did a decent bleed job, the pedal is firm and doesn't fade. Guess what? It still brakes just like it did last week! Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I'd hate to go to the dealership and spend $1k on something that I could fix myself for $50.

Other info: The ABS light came on a few times last year, but would be off the next time I started the truck. Also, the first time or two that I use the brakes in the morning, it grabs like its supposed to, then I'm back to difficult braking. The pedal doesn't go to the floor. It almost feels like there are no front brakes (hence the replacement of the master cylinder), the front end doesn't "dive" when I hit the brakes hard. Any tips would be useful.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It must be the booster. Check to make sure there's no leak in the vacuum line going to the booster.

·
Registered
472 Posts
wild8bill said:
I have a 2000 4x4 V6 SR5, TRD, etc. with 115k miles. I have noticed a loss of braking power over the last year. Now, it doesn't even feel like I have power brakes. I can't get them to come close to locking up; or even kick in the ABS no matter how hard and fast I smash the pedal. I replaced the front pads a while back, and they still have plenty of meat on them. I just got done replacing the master cylinder and replacing the fluid with DOT 4. I did a decent bleed job, the pedal is firm and doesn't fade. Guess what? It still brakes just like it did last week! Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I'd hate to go to the dealership and spend $1k on something that I could fix myself for $50.

Other info: The ABS light came on a few times last year, but would be off the next time I started the truck. Also, the first time or two that I use the brakes in the morning, it grabs like its supposed to, then I'm back to difficult braking. The pedal doesn't go to the floor. It almost feels like there are no front brakes (hence the replacement of the master cylinder), the front end doesn't "dive" when I hit the brakes hard. Any tips would be useful.
you know, if you have the slightest air bubble in any of the lines, it will feel like crap. Make sure you have a brake bleeder or have someone in the car pushing the pedal for you while bleeding the brakes. Start at the right rear, then left rear, right front, then left front last. good luck. If stil probs, inferior pads or your booster might have a leak, but toyotas boosters are pretty solid compared to other makes. Also have you replaced the rears ever or at least checked them? Adjusted them?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If your calipers have ever been hanging by the brake hoses the membrain inside the hose will most likely be ruined and not allow good fluid flow. This also will will give you week brakes. They are also inexpesive. I agree with J-Man about using good pads.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
what kind of pads did you use? did you notice the loss of brake power after changing the pads?

·
Registered
3 Posts
check your calipers good fluid flow is important,and good pads, make sure when u were bleeding your brakes there is no air in the line.if that does not work try the booster

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I gave up and took it to Midas. Too much crap on modern vehicles for me to learn (ABS, ECU, etc.). They think it may be the power booster, but we'll see.

For the inquisitive; the ABS bulb was burned out on the dash, and I've never changed the rear linings. Also, there were no problems when I replaced front pads last year. I towed about 6500lbs of trailer (with brakes) over Shasta to Oregon this fall, but didn't notice any brake difference afterward. Except, somehow the trailer hookup had crossed my turn signals and brake lights together in the rear, after it was unhitched. Fixed that by unplugging tow kit and plugging it back in (factory tow kit).

I'll be driving my foolproof '61 Chevy Corvair Rampside truck to work out of for a few days. I'll miss the power steering and radio, though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NEW UPDATE: Got the truck back from Midas. The first time I went by, they said there was nothing wrong except the rear brakes needed to be adjusted a little. I took it around the block, and it was the same as when I took it in. Two feet pushing hard on the brake and it just slowly rolls to a stop. Firm pedal, no brakes. I took the manager around the block, did the same thing, and he agreed that it wasn't braking correctly. They did some more investigation and told me that the were "pretty sure" it was the power booster. They wanted $325 for the booster + labor, so I took it home. I mean, I can put that on myself. All in all, I only had to pay them $110 to adjust the rear brakes (now you barely have to pull on the parking brake to get it to set, well worth it!) ;^)

·
Registered
106 Posts
wild8bill said:
NEW UPDATE: Got the truck back from Midas. The first time I went by, they said there was nothing wrong except the rear brakes needed to be adjusted a little. I took it around the block, and it was the same as when I took it in. Two feet pushing hard on the brake and it just slowly rolls to a stop. Firm pedal, no brakes. I took the manager around the block, did the same thing, and he agreed that it wasn't braking correctly. They did some more investigation and told me that the were "pretty sure" it was the power booster. They wanted $325 for the booster + labor, so I took it home. I mean, I can put that on myself. All in all, I only had to pay them $110 to adjust the rear brakes (now you barely have to pull on the parking brake to get it to set, well worth it!) ;^)
Ok, so firm pedal meaning harder than a witches tit to push and it barely moves, or firm pedal all the way to the floor? If you're squashing with two feet and it doesn't move then yes, I'd agree it's the brake booster... If it's firm but goes all the way to the floor and still no braking force I'd say it's the MC or air in the lines... the rear brakes are super easy to adjust... the rear pads should last longer than your front disc, it's roughly 2 to 1, after every second set of fronts you wear down then you change the back, mine could've probably lasted a third set...

BET

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still have the same problem. Not any worse or better. I may have air in the ABS controller; I'd like to bypass it altogether and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts