TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: this is NOT going to be a race truck.

Ok, I have been reading and researching. I have built rock crawlers and trail trucks, but never an ifs truck. I have been looking for an LT kit that is bolt on and still retains 4x4.

My goal is an ifs truck that can handle medium duty off roading that still has good street manners. My plat form is a 2001 tacoma double cab trd. I have armor all the way around, winch, ect. I like the All Pro idea of their 05+ kit, but they don't make a 95-04 kit. I can fab just about anything. What I'm looking for are the right bolt on parts.

Question:
1. TC and Camburg seem to be the most popular. Is there other companies that make LT kits with the boxed LCAs? Are boxed LCAs any stronger than tubed?
2. What coil overs, springs/rate would you recommend? I have 600lbs on my adjustable struts and it feels too squishy.
3. Since I have not been in this scene, I don't know where is a good place to find used stuff. Where do I look for used parts?

Like I said, I am new to this stuff and any info or leads in direction would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
welcome to the dark side!!

first off there is a lot of cost and preventitive maintence that needs to be done so you dont mess the truck up too bad when offroading.
with the kit question there are many kits out there now that are 3.5 over, those seem to be the basis. Cant go wrong with the burg or TC kit but they also sell race kits which allow you to pull way more travel.

im not sure with the bolt on spring rates since i have 10s and dual rate C/O so it will be significantly different per truck. expetially with the armor you may want to get heavier springs. it may affect the comfort of the ride

best of luck on the expensive journey man.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

I know there is tons of stuff involved on this side of the sport that I don't know. I know TC and Camburg are really good and have been around a long time. I just don't want to waste a ton of money on stuff I don't need. That's why I am seeking advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well buying used is not a crime. It saves lots of money and essentially can be made new. With new bushings and uniballs. And shocks are rebuildable so you can redo them

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty much my view. I rarely buy "new" parts, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of that kind of stuff on here. My biggest concern is getting the right kit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My advise would be to buy a rig used that is already done. Even buying all part used and install/fab yourself you will still spend a lot of money. I like the 05 or newer tacoma platform for LT, mostly because you can run the rear shocks outside the frame. Mine is a DD and it drives great on the street. I have 4x4 and consider it to be a great dual sport option, it can plow through whoops at 50mph in the desert at speed and can still do low range off road trails.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1) camburg has boxed lca, TC offers it as an upgrade option

2)any of the big ones, king, fix, icon, swayaway etc. I'm a 03' dbl cab and run 600# spring, the valving is how u change the softness or firmness. The rate fir coil needs to just support weight of truck. With a bunch of armor u may need 650#....

3)hit up the classifieds on DR, RDC, TW, and here. Got mine off DR and saved a crap load!

:2cents: All that said for wut u are looking for a good mid travel setup would be better IMO. I had a burg uca with icon extended travel coilovers matched with deaver j59s and icon rear resi shocks. It worked really well! The maintanence and continuous chasing the next week link with longtravel builds can be a lot to deal with....ask me how I know :)
here's my build ( sorry it's tacomaworld :) )
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/129103-el-rojos-build.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I can box any lca's I get. That's just 1 extra step. I always build a weak link into my drive train. Usually I make it a U joint in the drive line. I'm not going to screw with a mid travel set up. I know once I do it I will just wish I went LT with it. What's RDC?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts