TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do?

My dad offered me a straight swap: my truck for an 07 (i think) civic.

My truck is an 01 tacoma with 105k, 4x4, v6, a few minor issues but nothing serious. The biggest problem is that it gets shitty gas mileage.

The Civic is leather, navigation, like 40k miles, 4cyl, and gets about 35mpg...

It would be an even swap. I commute like 80+ miles to work so I'm getting raped on gas. I haven't off-roaded in like 2 years, but I do have a dirtbike. I could use my brother vehicle when I go riding, esp cuz I usually ride with him. What the hell should I do?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well what would you rather be driving, a truck or a car? If I ever end up with a car it's going to have a V8 and get worse mileage than my truck.lol

If it was me, I would keep the truck and save some cash and buy a beater 4cyl to drive to work. But this is about you, not me. I guess you need to ask yourself if you can live without the truck or not and go from there.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I love driving my truck, but just going to work this weekend I spent over $30 in gas and I am super broke for th time being. I don't know. This is a tough choice.

·
Registered
271 Posts
What's the book value on the Civic? If it's more than your truck, drive the Civic for a little while, sell it and with the money buy an older off-roader and a little Civic or Camry or something to drive to work.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a tough decision to make,
Like Ben said I'd keep my truck too, but you have to do what's right for you.

BTW did you get your brake issue figured out ?

Harry
Yeah. The wheel bearing was shot and leaking a bit of grease into the brake drum. Somehow that made them stick... But once the bearing was replaced it hasn't done it once.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I am gonna do it. I will spend $30 to go to work this weekend. I can't afford the gas :(

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would do like Ben and harry said keep the truck and find an old cheap beater like a Civic or CRX, But thats also just me, I just like to be big and safe in my truck because theres so many old people out there on the roads, My buddy has a 1990 Honda CRX the he got for like 600 bucks and its the HF model which was made for very good gas milage he constatly gets 45-48 mpg! and it has over 300*** miles haha! Just gotta do what you gotta do man!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The buying a beater thing is definitely something I have considered... the issues are $$$ and space.

·
Registered
181 Posts
if you have not "off-roaded" in two years then get the civic!!you can always get another truck.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Just remember you're asking about getting rid of a off-road truck on an off-road forum. So don't expect to hear the real truth;) Go to a Civic forum and ask the same ? and see what answer's you get. My opinion keep the truck.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just remember you're asking about getting rid of a off-road truck on an off-road forum. So don't expect to hear the real truth;) Go to a Civic forum and ask the same ? and see what answer's you get. My opinion keep the truck.
Yeah, I completely expected everyone to say "KEEP THE TRUCK!!!" lol. My damn passenger door handle broke yesterday... I think my truck is asking for me to get rid of it lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts