TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, for one they're soldiers in the Army. A lack of discipline and leadership will allow shitheadedness to prevail sometimes. Two, you're judging people in a situation in which you've never been and don't understand the feelings these men and women have and deal with towards the Iraqi people. Three, shit happens but there are a lot bigger situations to deal with other than a couple of knuckleheads teasing some kids with water.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Those guys need some discipline and something better to do. Doesn't have much to do with the military though, just a couple of shitheads.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What the public in america sees and hears of our soldiers in foreign countries is grossly censored and disguised. That doesnt mean that they arent trying to do something possitive in their hearts at first. But there is another side we dont hear about the killing, raping, stealing, mistreatment of people that goes on in these situations. I'm sure I'll get crap for this comment, and not all soldiers do this, but it does happen a lot more than we hear about over here. That video is only the beginning, it just so happens that most are smart enough not to record this stuff.

edit:

After reading the post I realize that it makes our men and women sound bad. That is not the case. Most are doing good. Just the shitheads that get all the press. Also the issues they deal with are worse than anyone who hasnt been through it can even imagine. The people they deal with often are much worse than our soldiers are back to them.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There are always going to be jackasses no matter where you are. These are the guys who probably pipcked on blind kids in elementary school and shit like that. No matter what they become they're still going to feel the need to treat others like shit to make themselves feel better. I saw and heard of way worse stuff than that when I was in Iraq...it happens.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
Iggy said:
Well, in my opinion, I don't think the soldiers were really "taunting" the kids with the water. I think the kids were just chasing the truck for fun. Little kids like big trucks, especially ones with big guns. Also, there was a lot of water on the street, so there is a water supply there. If the water is contaminated, it can be boiled.

·
Registered
414 Posts
tacd44 said:
Well, in my opinion, I don't think the soldiers were really "taunting" the kids with the water. I think the kids were just chasing the truck for fun. Little kids like big trucks, especially ones with big guns. Also, there was a lot of water on the street, so there is a water supply there. If the water is contaminated, it can be boiled.
The kid stopped running the second they threw the water out. Nice try though. You must have watched the video with the sound off and missed the two minutes of "Do want the water?"

You can tell the soliders are shit heads just by the way they talk. "Are you getting this?"

"I'm getting it son."

Who says "son" in that way when they aren't joking? lol

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
And what's sad is you hear the guy doing the taunting ask "are you getting this?" and the reply is "yes sergeant..." meaning the one doing the taunting is senior. Way to lead by example.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Ok, by no means what so ever do I agree w/ this sort of behavior..... BUT, those guys are under stress that I will never be able to comprehend. People do the DUMBEST SHIT when they're under extreme stress, as some of you know who have been in that hell called Iraq. The whole Abu Graib(spelling?) thing, I thought it was stupid, but at the sametime.... I realized it was probably purely stress related reasons. I'm not trying to justify the actions of some of the soldiers over there, I'm just trying to be as compassionate to their current situation as I possibly can. The one and only thing I do not get...... Why do they keep incriminating themselves w/ pictures and video? How fucking stupid can you be???

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Iggy said:
i agree but dosent this behavior cause insergents to attack out soldiers>? do u understand what i mean
It sure does, every one of those kids went home and told their parents about it too. Guess which side they favor after that kinda shiat? Nobody chases you THAT far unless they NEED what you're flaunting. The sad part of that scene is when they FINALLY toss out the water - some other kid gets it without breaking a sweat.

Boredom on deployment + Lack of discipline + Apathy = NASTY :2cents:

·
Registered
741 Posts
the army has no part in this, they were messed up as kids and before they joined the army, something bad probably happened to them. i agree with the other guy who said he was just chasing the truck not the water, when he threw the water out he probably stopped becuase he didnt know what it was and just wanted to see what he threw,i doubt the kid even knew what he was speaking about.

but he was fast

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've been to Iraq and although there are very stressful times (granted my job is entirely different than theirs but the atmosphere is all the same), I call BS on that being an excuse for what the soldiers were doing. From my personal experiences and perceptions, these kids were probably just chasing the truck for the water for fun. Think of it like a sport whereas the last one to quit wins. The only sad part is when the bottle was thrown and the other kids got it. But that's the way it is out there. Where I'm currently located in the western edge of the mid-east, things aren't nearly as bad but if I were to have my son sit in the back of my truck with bottled water, apples, candy, or nearly anything else, we could've managed the same thing driving down main street. It was a bit of entertainment for the soldiers as well as the kids. It may only be my :2cents: so take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
dude thats probabley the only thing close to fun they have done in like 8 months...at least they eventually dropped the water. imagine watching your buddies get blown up by roadside bombs all day for a year and getting sniped at left and right. hes just a stupid kid running after some water, who cares?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Those could be the same kids that throw rocks at convoying trucks as they pass by - breaking windshields and hitting soldiers in the head.

So, what would you do if the kids that throw rocks at you are pacified by an MRE or a bottle of water? Belittle me all you want, but I probably would have made those kids pay for chucking rocks at me everyday.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I am not saying what these guys did is right. Having deployed overseas before, fortunately not in bush's fiasco, I will say that troops get bored and will do stupid shit at times.
The ROE (rules of engagement) would not normally allow a soldier to blow away a kid for throwing rocks at US soldiers, now if it is Molotov cocktails or grenades, than the right to defend coming into play.

Having spoke with some of my buddies that are still in, most are on their second and sometimes third deployment to either Afghanistan on Iraq since Bin laden started this shit (we should not have gone to Iraq :soapbox: )

Kids are attracted to US troops in the hope that they will throw them some tidbits like M&M's, Tootsie rolls, or what ever. They learn quickly which MRE's are good and which one tastes like crap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts