1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Trying to figure out exactly what I did in Ohio,
Carnage pics to come when I get to what I broke :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pulled the driveshaft, i couldn't pull it backwards......

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
just after this pic was taken something in the front diff went bang........front end still turned but made bad noises........about a half hour after that something really broke and the front end stoped working......my guess is he blew up the spider gears

·
20,355 Posts
Blew mine in Moab a year ago. It didnt sound healthy, but i was able to drive back to denver on it. i did motivate me to go manual hub though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Sorry to hear about your breakage. Hopefully you can find a replacement for a good price and be back on the trails for EC4RJ.

I am starting to think that Andy is a jinx :) The last two times he has ridden with someone, they end up taking there rig home broken. Looks like you got more than one trail in at least ;)

Andy, you are not allowed to ride with me ever again :D

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Kinda off topic but I managed to break Jordan's old truck too.
Sheerd the 2 lowest studs on the rear 3rd off and I'm pretty sure I broke somthing in the front it is making a god awful racket in 4wd but it goes away in 2wd or when I unlock the passenger side hub. He told me to make her scream so I did

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sorry to hear about your breakage. Hopefully you can find a replacement for a good price and be back on the trails for EC4RJ.

I am starting to think that Andy is a jinx :) The last two times he has ridden with someone, they end up taking there rig home broken. Looks like you got more than one trail in at least ;)

:rofl: thats funny J.T. atleast he is a great spotter....

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Kinda off topic but I managed to break Jordan's old truck too.
Sheerd the 2 lowest studs on the rear 3rd off and I'm pretty sure I broke somthing in the front it is making a god awful racket in 4wd but it goes away in 2wd or when I unlock the passenger side hub. He told me to make her scream so I did
Breaking those two lower studs on the rear third is easy to do. Ask me how I know this. :D

You probably blew the following...

Passenger side long
Passenger side hub gear or outer locking ring gear (The one that actually engages/disengages the axle shaft)

Let us know what you find!

Here's what it sounded like the first time he broke it, outer hub gear that is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjc_ohtOCIE#t=4m40s

Video starts out about 5 seconds before the clickity clackity, crunch bang noise. :D

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Breaking those two lower studs on the rear third is easy to do. Ask me how I know this. :D
really? I never heard of anyone doing this before maybe I will look into to ARP studs after all
Did you break them coming down on a rock or what?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts

he rode with me all day saturday and i never broke a thing...the jinx must only apply to 4runners :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
She is my trail truck now, just need a designated tow rig.

I think I was just me getting a little ballsy and trying something and being a Jackass about it.

Showed the vid to my teach and he said that what ever happen was a long time comig and that I just pushed it over the edge.

I will get her fixed and be back out on the trails hoepfully soon

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
really? I never heard of anyone doing this before maybe I will look into to ARP studs after all
Did you break them coming down on a rock or what?
I can only assume it was from dragging my diff over rocks. It may also be the fact that the studs or the nuts on the ends may have been loose. I've only ever ground away at the nuts or bent the studs on mine until that day. Just like you they sheared off just enough to let all the fluid run out.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
About this Discussion
93 Replies
13 Participants
YotaFun
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing