TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I got a hole in my drivers side power steering rack boot yesterday. I think it happened when I had to get wenched out of a hole on the trail. So its leaking really bad and I don’t know if I can just replace the boot. Any one know if I can just take the boot off and put a new one on?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Boot

the boot is just a dust cover it keeps dirt mud and whatever out. If you are leaking ps fluid from there you need to replace the seal, and its not fun. Best to get it to a good shop. (sorry it could not be better news)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was afrade you would say that. My PS rack has been leaking for a whille were the steering saft comes in to it. There is a junkyard here that has a 4 runner in it. I wander of the rack out of that will fir my 96?

·
Registered
540 Posts
PS Rack

I wish I knew the only thing I can say is measure the rack itself and make sure you note the fittings and sizes. I wish you luck!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
You can take the top portion of the steering rack outta the 4runner assembly and put it into your tacoma rack .. Mine was leaking at the same spot the OP is talking about and I did roughtly the same thing..

If your inner tierod boot is cracked/broken u can order a new one from http://www.toyotapartsales.com aka toyota of dallas or champion toyota both sponsors of TTORA that will give u a discount on the parts. Keep in mind you will also need the two clamps that hold the boot onto the inner tierod or just use some hose clamps (easier to synch up )

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,523 Posts
Looks like I got a hole in my drivers side power steering rack boot yesterday. I think it happened when I had to get wenched out of a hole on the trail. So its leaking really bad and I don’t know if I can just replace the boot. Any one know if I can just take the boot off and put a new one on?
You have to separate the inner and outer tie-rod ends to fit the new boot on. So theoretically, this would require an alignment unless you thread the TREs back on to the exact same spot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts