TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we had the first Ky TTORA run yesterday, and had a really good time. It was the first time I took my truck on that long of a wheeling trip and I was pretty amazed at just what these trucks are capable of. When I got home I thought my only casualties were the front license plate (just a vanity plate, bent badly during a water crossing) and my rear bumper got a little ding when I backed into a tree (yeah, and I just had driven around it too).

Well I thought my fender to body lines didn't match just right when I got home, but I really didn't think much of it - I figured I was just paranoid. Today I opened the passenger door and got a nice rub of the door against the fender. It is in the lower 1/4 of the door where it hits. I really didn't go through anything terrible, and the worst flexing I did can be seen here: http://groups.msn.com/kyttorafirstrun/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=29 and here: http://groups.msn.com/kyttorafirstrun/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=34

I really didn't come down hard over any of the steps or other things and I was pretty surprised to find that I had tweaked something this badly. Is this common or am I just not as kind to my truck as I should be? Hopefully I can get a friend with a frame / body pulling set up to check it out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
I would say that it is a combonation of both you are harder on our truck than you thought and hit harder than you thought and it being a bit common.

Not common as to say everytime you go out you are going to "tweak" your truck.

you can hit something just right and tweak the fenders as to them hitting the door. By the way don't use that door much until you get it fixed otherwise you could crease your door or fender.

Chances are you just moved your fender a bit. This is easily fixed. Just loosen up the bolts inside the door jam and along the top of your engine compartment. don't take them all the way out but just enough to where you can move your fender. Once you get the fender in a position that it does not rub the door any longer, tighten all the bolts back down. I am fairly confident that you did not bend your frame or did any other major damage.

I have moved fenders like this many times ( on the trail) So I really don't think you have much to worry about.

I hope your run was a good one. Don't get scared off by this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yea it happened to me too i hit something pretty hard and it pushed my bumper up and my fender back...i jumped on the front bumper one good time and it snapped back in place...the door rubbed for a little while but eventually fixed itself...i guess now i'll go and move the fender back in place since is seems perty easy, i guess it is a common thing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Seems everytime I go out on tight trails I get a squeaky door from it rubbing the fender. All I do is pull out on the fender and it is fixed. I have done that many times, it just needs to be pulled on enough to let the door go behind the seam when opened instead of hitting it. Your truck is a little newer/nicer, so you may want to go through the trouble of loosening all the bolts, but my way only takes about 10 seconds :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not that I'd wish body damage/misalignment on other people, but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who this happens to. I really don't think the frame is bent at all, and it is really only minor rubbing. Looks like it will be an easy fix, I've done stuff like this before, but just wanted to find out if this is a common Tacoma thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts