TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys.

I'm glad I found this board! My '97 S-10 is ready for replacement, and it looks like the Tacoma is the no-brainer answer.

My S-10 has been pretty good, I tow with it and haul motorcycles.

I'm thinking that anything the S-10 did, the Tacoma can do better.

I got the S-10 stuck on the boat ramp because of the 1 wheel drive, and at the beach a few times, so I'm thinking 4WD might be usefull. I'm looking at an '05 Access cab 4WD V6 auto trans.

I've got a million questions, and the dealer can't answer them.

First, the easy ones:

1. What is a pre-runner?

2. The transfer case doesn't have a diff in it, just a two speed on or off, right?

3. Does the front diff lock?

4. I get the feeling that the 4WD is designed to be used off-road. Would using it on ice and snow be a problem? We don't get much of that here, but if I travel can I do 100 miles of highway in a blizzard in 4WD?

5. The "SR5 package 8" has a limited slip diff. Do I want that or the electric lock? The limited slip seems more like what I need.

Thanks in advance for any help, I've got plenty of questions if you guys don't mind answering them.

Fast Frank

·
Registered
485 Posts
-Pre runner's are 2wd
-The front diff doesnt lock from the factory
-4wd works great in ice/snow
-The electric lock would offer alot more traction off road than a limited slip

..correct me if Im wrong..

·
Master "Yota"
431 Posts
1) A pre-runner is a 2 wheel drive truck that looks like a 4x4.
2) The new Taco has a 2 speed transfer case.
3) There is a rear locker option but no front locker option.
4) Of course you can drive it on ice and snow. That's what 4 wheel is for. If your on the highway use 4 Hi and keep it below 60 mph. Turn it off when you hit dry road conditions though.
5) It depends on the driving you do. If you use your truck off road a lot I would go with the locker. It's worth its weight in gold if you ask me.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PreRunners are only 2wd
The 4x4's are great in the snow, put a little weight in the back and you can haul ass in the snow...
All the other things u asked im not a pro at, so listen to someone else for those answers
Pete

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool!

So the front diff uses magnets and hilliard clutches? Are they in the diff or at the hubs?

Here in Houston, flooding is common. How much water can a Tacoma handle before it starts hurting things?

Does the ride suffer compared to the 2WD? My S-10 has a crappy ride and I'm hoping for better from the toyota.

Thanks.

Fast frank

·
Registered
165 Posts
4wd rided the same as 2wd. i just bought a 2001 4x4 doublecab and i absolutely love it! ive had it for 3 weeks and i already have a list of thing i wanna do... lift kits, rims/tires, skidplates etc. toyota's the way to go, my dad had an 89 4runner which was my 1st vehicle and ive been hooked ever since. my buddy has a 01 s10 and hes ready to trade it in for a tacoma.. :D

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
fast frank said:
Cool!

So the front diff uses magnets and hilliard clutches? Are they in the diff or at the hubs?

Here in Houston, flooding is common. How much water can a Tacoma handle before it starts hurting things?

Does the ride suffer compared to the 2WD? My S-10 has a crappy ride and I'm hoping for better from the toyota.

Thanks.

Fast frank
Tacomas use ADD to engage 4wd. There is a shaft and a fork that engages and "locks in 4wd". The term "lock" usually refers to a diff locker like what is avaible for the rear end of the truck. Toyota used to offer front/rear/center lockers on the FJ80 (90s land crusiers) but doesn't anymore.

that's about how much water a 2001 tacoma can handle without damaging anything. (keep in mind breathers are extended)

Prerunners are the same as 4x4s without the 4x4 componets: transfer case, d-shaft, diff, cv axles, etc... Any product made for a tacoma 4x4 will work for a tacoma prerunner.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anybody else notice the ice floating on that water? Better hope like heck the engine doesn't die.

I would have lost a bet on how deep the Taco could go.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:
Anybody else notice the ice floating on that water? Better hope like heck the engine doesn't die.

my buddy has had a water line on his head rest in his 95.5. pulled the airbox, sat around and in 15 mins we were back on the trail, motor ran fine for around 2 years after that, then we blew it up to put the 350 in it :D

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
ByrdDog20 said:

There was a hole right there from someone else boggin'. I was still in 2wd at that point. The other side is a but higher and I had the deckplate at that point, so I knew water wasn't gona get sucked into the elbow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts