This does not work
Size 17x8.5
Offset -6mm
Backspace 4 1/2

This does work
Size 17x8
Offset 0mm
Backspace 4 1/2

I am going to be running these wheels on an 07' Tacoma. The only difference is the offset. I am failing to understand what the difference is between backspace and offset. Was the imformation I was given even correct? I what is the most offset I can run before I run into caliper problems?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, very informative. But the wheels that American Racing said would not fit are a -6mm offset which would push the center in more to give more clearance for the wheel to clear. The wheel they said would work had a 0mm offset which would give less clearance.
I know that people are running the Mojaves all over on here and that is the one with 0mm offset, so I know that will work. Wouldn't -6mm give even more clearance than those with 0mm offset?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
according to the backspace to offset conversion chart on that first link, it states that both wheels have the same Offset, which is correct. I am totally confused now because the wheel that they say won't fit is wider with the same backspace and less offset. This contradicts all logic in describing why these won't work. Please correct me where I am wrong. Or are they dummies for not even knowing their own products?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,439 Posts
Offset = brake caliper clearance. Only certain offset values will work with certain vehicles. Our trucks have a preference for positive offset wheels.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts