TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well figured it's been a year since i built my tire gate and that i need to finally hinge it. especially with a big camping trip coming up to Land Between the Lakes.

for those who don't know, this is my current tire gate:

i'd like to be able to switch opening sides if need be, but for the most part one side would be bolted and one side would use pull pins. such as

from all the tire gate builds i've seen, they really aren't running bigger than 33" tires. i'll have a 37" tire sitting back there so i may need a little more strength.
it looks as though alot just use a simple sleeve around a poly bushing but i don't see how that doesn't sag when opened.
then there's double shear hinges. the ones comp4x4 sells(link) seem perfect but their smallest measures out to 4.5" which IMO seems too big for this. i've never seen one in person but 3" seems to be perfect per hinge. also comp4x4 is $50 each.. $200 in hinges also seems too high.

anyone want to share their input on this?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
moot point now i guess, but i know i have seen tire hinge kits for sale that had tappered roller bearings in them. dont remember where i saw them though.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
i had no idea you sold it! why? has it since been replaced?
Was going to school far away and the truck didn't make sense anymore so I sold it. Then I got a cool job and have another Tacoma. 01 double cab with a set of 1 tons and 40's sitting in storage. Still collecting parts for this one :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts